Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended IOS Control Point?
16-03-2018, 09:40 (This post was last modified: 16-03-2018 10:28 by eschreye.)
Tongue Recommended IOS Control Point?
Good morning,

I’m using MinimServer and MinimStreamer since 3 years on a Synology NAS with the Cambridge Audio 851N Media Renderer (Ethernet wired). I stream ripped CDs & vinyl and downloaded hires & mp3, it all works well and I’m a very happy listener.

The weakest point in my set-up is the Control Point: the Cambridge Audio IOS application (CA Connect) on iPad and iPhone works ‘so-and-so’. Whilst the CA Connect app is simple and straightforward in its use and ergonomics - which I appreciate a lot - it has the flaw of regularly ‘closing’ (crashing?) Indeed, if after having listened for a while to the music that I selected on the CA Connect and I want to browse thru the music collection to select other music it often just stops and I must restart the lazy bugger. This is frustrating. Hence, I have been looking around for an IOS audio UPnP Control Point equally simple as CA Connect but… more robust. However, in vain. There are quite some advertised on the Apple Store but many are video / airplay purposed or just crappy…

Can somebody advice a simple AND robust audio UPnP Control Point for IOS to remote control hires (and 16 bit / mp3) audio streaming to the Cambridge Audio 851N?

All advice is appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2018, 10:47
RE: Recommended IOS Control Point?
Hello,

I'm using '8Player Pro' on iPhone and iPad since quite some time. For me it works flawless.

Kind regards
steamfan
16-03-2018, 13:00
Linn Kinsky
Mconnect lite
Creation 5 (C5)
Glider
16-03-2018, 22:23
Ditto the above. Plus, if you install the excellent BubbleUPnP Server helper application on the Synology NAS & configure it to create an OpenHome renderer for the standard UPnP supporting CA 851N, you'll be able to use OpenHome only control point apps with it, such as:
Linn Kazoo
Lumin
17-03-2018, 09:38
Brick RE: Recommended IOS Control Point?
Many thanks to all for kind advice

Linn has a reputation and two of you mention their product, so i will first try out Kazoo

I will follow your recommendation Cebolla and make an attempt tomorrow for BubbleUPnP Server on Synology NAS and then go for Kazoo on the iPad and iPhone

Will keep you posted

Eric
17-03-2018, 11:00
(17-03-2018 09:38)eschreye Wrote:  Many thanks to all for kind advice

Linn has a reputation and two of you mention their product, so i will first try out Kazoo

I will follow your recommendation Cebolla and make an attempt tomorrow for BubbleUPnP Server on Synology NAS and then go for Kazoo on the iPad and iPhone

Will keep you posted

Eric
I wonder if you can get volume control working using Kazoo in combination with your 851N.
I have tried this with my CA StreamMagic 6 V1 (early edition april 2012) and volume control doesn't work. (Streamer in preamp mode).

Peter
18-03-2018, 20:59 (This post was last modified: 18-03-2018 21:12 by eschreye.)
Did finally put aside kazoo, as i relinquish installing the additionally required bubbleUPnP software layer on the synology
sorry but cannot help peter with his volume control query

I will start using mconnect which seems to do what I need and looks more appealing than 8playerpro or C5

Thanks again
KR

eric
31-03-2018, 10:17
(17-03-2018 11:00)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  I wonder if you can get volume control working using Kazoo in combination with your 851N.
I have tried this with my CA StreamMagic 6 V1 (early edition april 2012) and volume control doesn't work. (Streamer in preamp mode).

Peter

I'm using integrated Moon ace Amp (dac+streamer), fantastic all in one box, but like you Peter, volume control doesn't work with Kazoo and no tracks informations are displayed on the amp screen (same for lumin). Only the moon App can control volume and display (but not as good as lumin). The amp has a remote so it's not a dealbreaker of course... ;D
01-04-2018, 14:38
Simaudio's implementation of the UPnP/DLNA protocol is lacking. Last time I checked, you could not fast-forward, rewind or even pause with any other controller than their own app.
02-04-2018, 20:26
I found Audionet was the best iOS app when I started using MinimServer but because of its shortcomings I bought an Android tablet and switched to BubbleUPnP which is much better. The app is here:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/audionet...75370?mt=8

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model