Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
De-duplicating on Synology DS412+
08-03-2018, 12:56
RE: De-duplicating on Synology DS412+
Thanks Pepsi, noted, yes I see your point.

Paul, I will check it out now
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2018, 12:59
(08-03-2018 12:44)linleyw Wrote:  OK, so I've managed to locate the Z: music folder through the DB PowerAmp De-Dup program, scanning 12938 tracks right now, BUT can't locate that same Z: folder through Asset UPnP, so presumably I'll be de-duping and unable to locate the finished item?

only 33hrs remaining on the scan lol

Asset will be running on the NAs so has direct access to the music folder, not through your Z: drive on the PC.

The others make good points. The best solution by far is to organise your music files and folders better.
08-03-2018, 13:08
Asset is on my PC....there is a music server app on the NAS, but not using it.

If I'm sounding dim, this isn't my arena at all, I'm a surveyor!
08-03-2018, 13:11
Paul is now at my mercy muhahahahahaha Wink
08-03-2018, 13:19
(08-03-2018 13:08)linleyw Wrote:  Asset is on my PC....there is a music server app on the NAS, but not using it.

If I'm sounding dim, this isn't my arena at all, I'm a surveyor!

So you're running Asset on your PC, using the music on the NAS through a network drive?
You really want to install Minimserver on the NAS (Asset isn't available for Synology, I knew that, should have realised!).
08-03-2018, 13:24
Yes Smile

Paul's SongKong is running right now, found the folder no probs...

Asset was recommended by the Linn retailer, knowing that I stored the music on the Synology. It worked fine at the outset (2013). Weird...
08-03-2018, 13:32 (This post was last modified: 08-03-2018 13:55 by paultaylor.)
(08-03-2018 13:24)linleyw Wrote:  Paul's SongKong is running right now, found the folder no probs...
Great, unlike Pepiscan point about Perfect Tunes
Quote:So, if you have "We will rock you" on for example "Queen: greatest hits" and "News of the World", then it will find a duplicate and remove it. Of course, that means one of the two albums now no longer has a complete list of songs in its folder on the drive. So, the de-duplication feature is really much more for people who listen to songs rather than albums and who are somewhat tight on disk space.
SongKong by default will only delete duplicates based on having same track and album so is album based. However the default just uses existing metadata, to get really good matching you would usually run after running Fix Songs first because this will add Acoustids and better metadata giving better data for Delete Duplicates to work with.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-03-2018, 14:09
(08-03-2018 13:24)linleyw Wrote:  Yes Smile

Asset was recommended by the Linn retailer, knowing that I stored the music on the Synology. It worked fine at the outset (2013). Weird...

As far as I know Asset has never been formally available for Synology, but there is a build for certain ARM based models.
Weirdly my Linn dealer also recommends and uses Asset. He failed to mention the above when he then recommended a Synology later. So I used Minim instead. I have a QNAP now, so now I have both Asset and Minim on it. Best of both Smile
10-03-2018, 10:20
(08-03-2018 12:59)timster Wrote:  
(08-03-2018 12:44)linleyw Wrote:  OK, so I've managed to locate the Z: music folder through the DB PowerAmp De-Dup program, scanning 12938 tracks right now, BUT can't locate that same Z: folder through Asset UPnP, so presumably I'll be de-duping and unable to locate the finished item?

only 33hrs remaining on the scan lol

Asset will be running on the NAs so has direct access to the music folder, not through your Z: drive on the PC.

The others make good points. The best solution by far is to organise your music files and folders better.

Asset is not officially supported on Synology. Only on Qnap. Better to leave Asset be and switch to MinimServer. There is nothing MinimServer cannot do that Asset can. But there are things MinimServer can do that Asset cannot.
10-03-2018, 10:21 (This post was last modified: 10-03-2018 13:43 by Pepsican.)
(08-03-2018 14:09)timster Wrote:  
(08-03-2018 13:24)linleyw Wrote:  Yes Smile

As far as I know Asset has never been formally available for Synology, but there is a build for certain ARM based models.
Weirdly my Linn dealer also recommends and uses Asset. He failed to mention the above when he then recommended a Synology later. So I used Minim instead. I have a QNAP now, so now I have both Asset and Minim on it. Best of both Smile

You are correct. Asset only is supported on Qnap. I guess the cross-sell with DBPowerAmp is why they recommend it?