Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warning: final chunk is smaller than minimum chunk size in AIFF file
06-03-2018, 16:49
I'm getting this error message with a number of files that I have recently downloaded:

Interestingly, not all songs in the album create the error message and I can play the ones that create the warning.

Any ideas if this is a problem and if so what to do about it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2018, 21:09 (This post was last modified: 06-03-2018 21:14 by simoncn.)
RE: Warning: final chunk is smaller than minimum chunk size in AIFF file
The file has an incorrect internal structure. This is caused by a bug in the program that was used to rip the file. You should be able to fix it by running the file through a converter program such as dBpoweramp or XLD.
07-03-2018, 16:14
Thanks!

Interesting. I downloaded the files as they are from the B&W Society of Sound website. I will try to convert them as the AIFF files take too much space anyway.
07-03-2018, 17:35
To clarify my earlier suggestion, a converter program can change the file format (for example, from AIFF to FLAC) but it can also leave the file as AIFF and just fix the format problem. If you change the format to FLAC, the file size will be smaller and you won't have lost any audio quality.
07-03-2018, 18:30
(07-03-2018 17:35)simoncn Wrote:  To clarify my earlier suggestion, a converter program can change the file format (for example, from AIFF to FLAC) but it can also leave the file as AIFF and just fix the format problem. If you change the format to FLAC, the file size will be smaller and you won't have lost any audio quality.

I converted it to ALAC using XLD and I'm not getting any error messages anymore now. Thanks!