Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Running minim server on my Synology alongside Synology Media Server
02-03-2018, 13:20
Running minim server on my Synology alongside Synology Media Server
Hi I have been using my synology server with the built in Media Servr option but have seen many users of Linn DS systems extolling the virtues of minim server. Being new to this IO wonder if it would be OK to install Minim server as well on my diskstation to use and learn about the alternative tagging options while keeping media server alive until I am happy with how i have the minim server configured.
If anyone has done this and can offer any advice or links to previous threads that would be much appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2018, 16:22
RE: Running minim server on my Synology alongside Synology Media Server
There is no problem having both MinimServer and Synology Media Server installed and running at the same time. If you wish, they can both be pointing to the same library files.
02-03-2018, 18:13
I did this when I acquired my Synology and had no problems. I ran Synology’s Media Server and switched back and forth in Kazoo, but it didn’t take long to get comfortable enough with Minimserver, and to realize the shortcomings of Media Server and turn it off.
03-03-2018, 06:33
When I had my Synology as my one and only NAS, I did used to keep Media Server running purely for New Additions. Then I found the Auto Rescan for Minimserver add-on so even that wasn't necessary.
I now have a QNAP which has Minim, Asset and Plex all running at the same time. No issues with performance.
04-03-2018, 12:06
Thanks for the replies I have downloaded minim server and in the process of getting it up and running which is proving to be awkward (i have another post on that). However from your comments I will persevere because I am interested in the benefits and other tagging options within it.
04-03-2018, 12:30
Just a short follow up. Simon has fixed my installation problem (the firewall on my diskstation was blocking minim server). I am now ready to get to grips with the added functionality of minim. It is good to know that others have already had both servers running until they have felt confident to turn the basic media server off. I may be getting back to you as you will undoubtedly met many of the same issues that i will come across.
many thanks