Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q: is a VPN the only way to access MinimServer from outside the local network?
28-02-2018, 14:57
Q: is a VPN the only way to access MinimServer from outside the local network?
Just wondering if there's some other mechanism for remote use I'm not seeing...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2018, 19:01
RE: Q: is a VPN the only way to access MinimServer from outside the local network?
MinimServer doesn't currently support this. Have you been sucessful in doing this with a VPN?

You could look at using BubbleUPnP Server to provide remote access to MinimServer. I haven't tried this myself.
04-03-2018, 14:44
RE: Q: is a VPN the only way to access MinimServer from outside the local network?
I can confirm that BubbleUPnP Server (in conjunction with the BubbleUPnP player on my Android phone) enabled me to gain access to MinimServer running on my NAS while away from home.

However, you need a good data signal for this to work smoothly and I gave up this method in favour of storing MP3 conversions of my FLAC files on a 128GB MicroSD card fitted to my phone. The only frustration with the latter method is that you lose the convenience of the metadata-based MinimServer browsing tree and have to resort to selecting music by folder and file.

An Android version of MinimServer would resolve that issue, but I suspect that Simon has plenty of other things to do with his time Smile
05-03-2018, 04:12
I assumed VPN would work but it doesn't, apparently there may be some complicated hacks to get UPnP to work with certain VPN mechanisms (OpenVPN) but I didn't explore further as it seems to be bleeding edge/buggy (plus I don't currently use OpenVPN).

I'll look into BubbleUPnP Server though, thanks for that advice!
10-03-2018, 07:51 (This post was last modified: 25-11-2021 13:00 by JamisonB.)
(05-03-2018 04:12)dukdukgoos Wrote:  I assumed Hydromax works but apparently there may be some complicated hacks to get UPnP to work with certain VPN mechanisms (OpenVPN) but I didn't explore further as it seems to be bleeding edge/buggy (plus I don't currently use OpenVPN).

I'll look into BubbleUPnP Server though, thanks for that advice!

Let us know how that works out, Dukdukgoos. That's an interesting idea. I hope it works.