Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multi-disc DiscSubtitle sorting
11-02-2018, 16:22
RE: Multi-disc DiscSubtitle sorting
I remember now. I renamed the Artist index to Album Artist to distinguish it from All Artists. I don't actual use the Album Artist index. It suddenly becomes clear.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2021, 18:13
discsubtitle and discnumber seem to work for all compilations quite well but I've come across my first set that doesn't. 30 trips around the sun from Grateful dead unless I flatten discs to Dxx then use discsubtitle

its Album, then city of date (like Providence, RI), then any range of discs from 1 to 3 for that date. If I use real discnumber its a mess.

I think albumsubtitle grouping would work here, did this ever get implemented as suggested?
24-04-2021, 19:45
I have looked at this album and I agree it is ideal for either AlbumSet/Album or Album/AlbumSubtitle.

Neither of these is implemented yet. I am more inclined to go for AlbumSet/Album as there is some discussion about AlbumSet on the web (although it isn't a "standard" tag). Also, the effect of viewing an album tagged as AlbumSet/Album on a server that doesn't understand AlbumSet would be more acceptable than viewing an album tagged as Album/AlbumSubtitle on a server that doesn't understand AlbumSubtitle.
24-04-2021, 22:33
(24-04-2021 19:45)simoncn Wrote:  I have looked at this album and I agree it is ideal for either AlbumSet/Album or Album/AlbumSubtitle.

Neither of these is implemented yet. I am more inclined to go for AlbumSet/Album as there is some discussion about AlbumSet on the web (although it isn't a "standard" tag). Also, the effect of viewing an album tagged as AlbumSet/Album on a server that doesn't understand AlbumSet would be more acceptable than viewing an album tagged as Album/AlbumSubtitle on a server that doesn't understand AlbumSubtitle.

that does make more sense. I thought of another way....

if you parsed 1/3 disc and total disc if the format was x/y then you could actually deduce which discsubtitle they belonged to. It would be easier to implement for everyone renumbering those to a x/y format.

think that would work with other servers?
25-04-2021, 09:44
It would not be necessary to use 1/3 to work out which DISCSUBTITLE the disc belongs to. All files in each disc are titled with DISCSUBTITLE, so this is sufficient.

The problem is knowing which order to display the discs. If disc 1 (or 1/3) shows up under more than one DISCSUBTITLE, MinimServer cannot know which of these DISCSUBTITLEs should display first. At present, the order of display is controlled by the DISCNUMBER tag.
27-04-2021, 23:35
(25-04-2021 09:44)simoncn Wrote:  It would not be necessary to use 1/3 to work out which DISCSUBTITLE the disc belongs to. All files in each disc are titled with DISCSUBTITLE, so this is sufficient.

The problem is knowing which order to display the discs. If disc 1 (or 1/3) shows up under more than one DISCSUBTITLE, MinimServer cannot know which of these DISCSUBTITLEs should display first. At present, the order of display is controlled by the DISCNUMBER tag.

thanks and understood.

So does this mean something's in the works for "AlbumSet/Album or Album/AlbumSubtitle or do I flatten discs and use discnumber for the forseeable future?

cheers,

Jake
28-04-2021, 07:53
It is not "in the works" to the extent that I am currently writing code to implement it. The first and most important step is to get the design right and I think we are quite a long way through that.

As a temporary workaround for this album, you could use the GROUP tag. Each city/date could be tagged as a disc with DISCNUMBER and each original disc within that city/date could be tagged as a GROUP. The track numbers for each city/group would run from 1..n through all the original discs for the city/group. For example:

July 3, 1966 – Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, California

Disc 1

"Nobody's Fault But Mine" (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead) – 1:09

DISCNUMBER=1, DISCSUBTITLE=July 3, 1966 – Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, California, GROUP=Disc 1, TRACKNUMBER=1
"Keep Rolling By" (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead) – 4:35
DISCNUMBER=1, DISCSUBTITLE=July 3, 1966 – Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, California, GROUP=Disc 1, TRACKNUMBER=9

Disc 2

"New, New Minglewood Blues" (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead) – 3:54

DISCNUMBER=1, DISCSUBTITLE=July 3, 1966 – Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, California, GROUP=Disc 2, TRACKNUMBER=10
"In the Midnight Hour" (Steve Cropper, Wilson Pickett) – 15:50
DISCNUMBER=1, DISCSUBTITLE=July 3, 1966 – Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, California, GROUP=Disc 2, TRACKNUMBER=19

November 10, 1967 – Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, California

Disc 1

"Viola Lee Blues" (Lewis) – 15:58
DISCNUMBER=2, DISCSUBTITLE=November 10, 1967 – Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, California, GROUP=Disc 1, TRACKNUMBER=1

..etc.
28-04-2021, 08:43
If this can help here you can find how a similar album appears using DISCSUBTITLE tag
(same album, two different control points, Lumïn and iPeng)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

28-04-2021, 13:34
(28-04-2021 07:53)simoncn Wrote:  It is not "in the works" to the extent that I am currently writing code to implement it. The first and most important step is to get the design right and I think we are quite a long way through that.

As a temporary workaround for this album, you could use the GROUP tag. Each city/date could be tagged as a disc with DISCNUMBER and each original disc within that city/date could be tagged as a GROUP. The track numbers for each city/group would run from 1..n through all the original discs for the city/group. For example:

July 3, 1966 – Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, California

Disc 1

"Nobody's Fault But Mine" (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead) – 1:09

DISCNUMBER=1, DISCSUBTITLE=July 3, 1966 – Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, California, GROUP=Disc 1, TRACKNUMBER=1
"Keep Rolling By" (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead) – 4:35
DISCNUMBER=1, DISCSUBTITLE=July 3, 1966 – Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, California, GROUP=Disc 1, TRACKNUMBER=9

Disc 2

"New, New Minglewood Blues" (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead) – 3:54

DISCNUMBER=1, DISCSUBTITLE=July 3, 1966 – Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, California, GROUP=Disc 2, TRACKNUMBER=10
"In the Midnight Hour" (Steve Cropper, Wilson Pickett) – 15:50
DISCNUMBER=1, DISCSUBTITLE=July 3, 1966 – Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, California, GROUP=Disc 2, TRACKNUMBER=19

November 10, 1967 – Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, California

Disc 1

"Viola Lee Blues" (Lewis) – 15:58
DISCNUMBER=2, DISCSUBTITLE=November 10, 1967 – Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles, California, GROUP=Disc 1, TRACKNUMBER=1

..etc.

that will work nicely! thanks
28-04-2021, 13:41
(28-04-2021 08:43)stefano_mbp Wrote:  If this can help here you can find how a similar album appears using DISCSUBTITLE tag
(same album, two different control points, Lumïn and iPeng)

thanks, discsubtitle is working nicely on the Linns. We're talking about specific albums now where it doesn't (each subtitle has multiple discs and you cannot use discnumber correctly)

cheers,

Jake