Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is there a Way to Force a Melco to Output Native DSD?
20-01-2018, 17:47 (This post was last modified: 20-01-2018 17:53 by GreenMtnGringo.)
Is there a Way to Force a Melco to Output Native DSD?
Hi, I recently installed a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 between my MinimServer-enabled Melco N1ZH Mk. 1 and my PS Audio DirectStream Sr. DAC so that I can use the DAC's I2S input, which is the only input that accepts native DSD (as opposed to DoP). The setup looks like this:

Melco > USB > Matrix > HDMI > DirectStream

This system is working and sounding great on 1xDSD and 2xDSD files stored on the Melco with one apparent wrinkle: The Matrix's indicator light is blue when I play DSD files, meaning that the Matrix is receiving DoP from the Melco as opposed to native DSD. (See page 9 of the Matrix manual.)

I set a Matrix dip switch to convert DoP to native DSD (see page 6 of the above-linked Matrix manual), hence the DirectStream's display now indicates "DSD" instead of "DOP" when I play DSD files.

Reading through the Melco's online manual, it seems the Melco generally outputs DoP even when its "USB DAC" controller setting is set to "Standard" as opposed to "DSD over PCM priority mode." (According to Melco's online DAC compatibility list, certain DACs can receive "markerless DSD" from the Melco; the DirectStream is not one of them, and the Matrix -- which is not a DAC -- is not listed).

I am NOT doing any transcoding in MinimStreamer of DSF or DFF files.

I am wondering if there is a setting in MinimServer or MinimStreamer which would force the Melco to stream native DSD (or "markerless DSD") instead of DoP so that I could avoid the DoP-to-DSD conversion in the Matrix?

Thanks very much.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 -> USB -> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 -> I2S -> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. -> XLR -> Mark Levinson No. 326S -> RCA -> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) -> RCA -> Bryston 4B3 -> Magnepan .7
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2018, 19:11
RE: Is there a Way to Force a Melco to Output Native DSD?
There is nothing that MinimServer can do to change this behaviour of the Melco renderer. Have you contacted Melco to see if they have any suggestions?
20-01-2018, 19:38
RE: Is there a Way to Force a Melco to Output Native DSD?
Hi Simon, not yet, but I will, thanks.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 -> USB -> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 -> I2S -> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. -> XLR -> Mark Levinson No. 326S -> RCA -> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) -> RCA -> Bryston 4B3 -> Magnepan .7