Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Log Error Messages Not Understood
12-01-2018, 21:43 (This post was last modified: 12-01-2018 21:46 by DavidHB.)
RE: Log Error Messages Not Understood
(12-01-2018 20:07)Budgie Wrote:  My problem is I know nothing about group tags and such a tag does not appear in PuddleTag, EasyTag or even the list of Tag mappings in the reference library ...

A Group is a sub-division of an album (or more correctly a container within an album). A Group must be of consecutive sequence of tracks, all of which must be within the album, or the same disc of a multi-disc album.

The usage of Group is explained in this section of the MinimServer User Guide. If you don't require the features described in this section, Simon's suggestion in the previous post is the best way of dealing with the issue. If you do require Groups in some or all albums (I use them all the time in my mainly classical collection), we can advise further if necessary.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2018, 00:56
(12-01-2018 20:34)simoncn Wrote:  GROUP is not the same as CONTENTGROUP. You can make MinimServer ignore all GROUP tags by adding Group:nil to aliasTags.

Hi Simon,
I have added the above as directed and applied and restarted but still getting the same error message on two discs. Have I missed something once again?
13-01-2018, 10:34 (This post was last modified: 13-01-2018 10:46 by DavidHB.)
(13-01-2018 00:56)Budgie Wrote:  I have added ... as directed and applied and restarted but still getting the same error message on two discs. Have I missed something once again?

To take the obvious thing first, did you do a rescan? You need to rebuild the index to get MinimServer to recognise the changes. If you do the rescan with the log window open, you will see any error messages when they occur.

Beyond that, as it is obvious that there are Group tags in the problem files (however they got there), you might want to have a look at them. The following instructions are for Puddletag, which is what I have installed on my Linux machine.

Open the problem folder in Puddletag. Select a file mentioned in an error message. The Group tag will, almost certainly, not appear either in the grid or the tag panel. If it doesn't, right-click on the selected file and click on Extended tags (or just press Ctrl-E). This will give you an editing dialog with the full list of tags for the file, and very likely there will be many more than shown in the grid and tag panel. This will allow you to inspect and edit the Group tag. If you select multiple files, for each tag you will get a drop-down menu showing all values of that tag in the selected files, plus <Keep> which is the default and means "leave things as they are".

This should enable you to remove the offending Group values. But I suspect that after a rescan the changes you have made as recommended by Simon will have the desired effect.

Incidentally, any Windows users reading this will find that the instructions given for Puddletag work in almost exactly the same way in MP3Tag as well. The main difference is that in MP3Tag the shortcut key to the Extended Tags dialog is not Ctrl-E but Alt-T.

David
13-01-2018, 15:51
(13-01-2018 10:34)DavidHB Wrote:  
(13-01-2018 00:56)Budgie Wrote:  I have added ... as directed and applied and restarted but still getting the same error message on two discs. Have I missed something once again?

To take the obvious thing first, did you do a rescan? You need to rebuild the index to get MinimServer to recognise the changes. If you do the rescan with the log window open, you will see any error messages when they occur.

Beyond that, as it is obvious that there are Group tags in the problem files (however they got there), you might want to have a look at them. The following instructions are for Puddletag, which is what I have installed on my Linux machine.

Open the problem folder in Puddletag. Select a file mentioned in an error message. The Group tag will, almost certainly, not appear either in the grid or the tag panel. If it doesn't, right-click on the selected file and click on Extended tags (or just press Ctrl-E). This will give you an editing dialog with the full list of tags for the file, and very likely there will be many more than shown in the grid and tag panel. This will allow you to inspect and edit the Group tag. If you select multiple files, for each tag you will get a drop-down menu showing all values of that tag in the selected files, plus <Keep> which is the default and means "leave things as they are".

This should enable you to remove the offending Group values. But I suspect that after a rescan the changes you have made as recommended by Simon will have the desired effect.

Incidentally, any Windows users reading this will find that the instructions given for Puddletag work in almost exactly the same way in MP3Tag as well. The main difference is that in MP3Tag the shortcut key to the Extended Tags dialog is not Ctrl-E but Alt-T.

David
Hi David,
Many thanks for the reply. Yes I did rescan. In fact I do this very frequently as I try each possible fix and check the resulting log. The restart was mentioned to indicate belt and braces approach.

I have not found a Group tag even with Puddletag Extended Tags function, only "grouping" which is blank for all tracks on the disc.

From what I have read the Group tag capability was only added to Mp3Tag quite recently. Do you really have a Group tag field in Puddletag and which version are you using?

Bottom line is probably to rip disc again. I have no idea how the tags were mangled but I had been trying SongKong and it is possible the tagging was imported.

Meanwhile please let me know if you have any further thoughts on why Simon's suggestion didn't work.

Regards,
Budge
13-01-2018, 16:29
(13-01-2018 15:51)Budgie Wrote:  I have not found a Group tag even with Puddletag Extended Tags function, only "grouping" which is blank for all tracks on the disc.

That's weird. Extended tags should show all the tags there are, particularly with the Vorbis metadata format used by FLAC

(13-01-2018 15:51)Budgie Wrote:  From what I have read the Group tag capability was only added to Mp3Tag quite recently. Do you really have a Group tag field in Puddletag and which version are you using?

The tags are in the file and are not a function of the tagging program, except that, as previously described, only a selection of tags (which you can change) is displayed in the grid and tag panel. But all the tags should be visible in the Extended dialog. Mp3Tag has had essentially the same capabilities as Puddletag (though not the drop-down menus in the Extended dialog, which is a pity) for all the nearly five years I've been using it. I'm using Puddletag 1.2.0, but doubt that that is relevant.

(13-01-2018 15:51)Budgie Wrote:  Bottom line is probably to rip disc again. I have no idea how the tags were mangled but I had been trying SongKong and it is possible the tagging was imported.

In the circumstances, that may be a sensible thing to try.

David
13-01-2018, 16:32
I believe SongKong does add Group tags in some cases.