Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sorting Out Character Sets Between Applications and Systems
11-01-2018, 17:24
Sorting Out Character Sets Between Applications and Systems
Hi Simon,

I am running 42.3 with KDE Desktop and tagging my music files with EasyTag. AFAIK I am using UTF-8 character set on the desktop this machine.EasyTag is set to write ID3v2.4 tags using Unicode UTF8.

Once correctly tagged the files are uploaded to a NAS form whence they are served by minimserver to lan.

Many of my music directories, file titles (and tags) have names which have diacritical marks for example:-

Abélard: Hymns & sequences for Héloïse (Schola Gregoriana of Cambridge)

This particular disk seems to have caused a problem and when I looked at the minimserver log (on a windoze machine) I found the directory name has become:-

Abélard: Hymns & sequences for Héloïse (Schola Gregoriana of Cambridge)

If I look at the files in the NAS using browser all is correct and as it should be and the NAS system is all linux albeit slightly 'broken' so it doesn't upset windoze users. Here is a copy of part of the minimwatch log as shown on windoze machine.

Quote:Error: playlist Iris_Hildegard_1.m3u: unknown folder for Early/Abelard, Peter (1079-1142)/Abélard: Hymns & sequences for Héloïse (Schola Gregoriana of Cambridge)/01 - O Quanta Qualia.flac
Error: playlist Iris_Hildegard_1.m3u: unknown folder for Early/Abelard, Peter (1079-1142)/Abélard: Hymns & sequences for Héloïse (Schola Gregoriana of Cambridge)/02 - Dolorum Solatium.flac

I am still trying to work out what is going on but since the windoze machine is not involved other than as a host for minimwatch the character set confusion should not be the problem but it does seem that where there is no diacritical mark in the file name there are no problems. Please could somebody help here?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2018, 00:04
RE: Sorting Out Character Sets Between Applications and Systems
(11-01-2018 17:24)Budgie Wrote:  If I look at the files in the NAS using browser all is correct and as it should be and the NAS system is all linux albeit slightly 'broken' so it doesn't upset windoze users. Here is a copy of part of the minimwatch log as shown on windoze machine.

Quote:Error: playlist Iris_Hildegard_1.m3u: unknown folder for Early/Abelard, Peter (1079-1142)/Abélard: Hymns & sequences for Héloïse (Schola Gregoriana of Cambridge)/01 - O Quanta Qualia.flac
Error: playlist Iris_Hildegard_1.m3u: unknown folder for Early/Abelard, Peter (1079-1142)/Abélard: Hymns & sequences for Héloïse (Schola Gregoriana of Cambridge)/02 - Dolorum Solatium.flac

I am still trying to work out what is going on but since the windoze machine is not involved other than as a host for minimwatch the character set confusion should not be the problem but it does seem that where there is no diacritical mark in the file name there are no problems. Please could somebody help here?

Surely playlist files in UTF-8 should have the .m3u8 extension? see http://minimserver.com/ug-library.html#Playlists
12-01-2018, 00:12
RE: Sorting Out Character Sets Between Applications and Systems
(12-01-2018 00:04)skeptic Mike Wrote:  
(11-01-2018 17:24)Budgie Wrote:  If I look at the files in the NAS using browser all is correct and as it should be and the NAS system is all linux albeit slightly 'broken' so it doesn't upset windoze users. Here is a copy of part of the minimwatch log as shown on windoze machine.

Surely playlist files in UTF-8 should have the .m3u8 extension? see http://minimserver.com/ug-library.html#Playlists

Well you learn something every day. Never saw this before! I added the 8 to the existing extension and the problem has vanished. Brilliant.
Many thanks.