Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newbie question: can one search by 'Rating' or "Favourites'?
04-01-2018, 09:04
Question newbie question: can one search by 'Rating' or "Favourites'?
newbie question so please forgive me if this is well known. Spent some time looking through all the forums and didn't find anything on it.

Been using MinimServer for a year now with my Cambridge audio 851N and QNAP NAS. Of all the music servers I've tried, Minim is far and away the best and the one I use 99% or the time.

there is one thing though that I wish it could do: allow browsing by 'favourite' tracks or albums, or, equivalently, by 'rating'. It would be great if I could browse, say Genre>Jazz>Artist>Miles Davis>Favourites> or ..>Rating>5>
or some such thing to pick out favourite tracks for an on-demand playlist.
If it could do Genre>Jazz>Albums?Favourites or ../Rating>5 that too would be even more awesome.

Going through the forum posts, I've seen reference to creating things like "Conductor' or 'Soloist' tags that Minim can digest. So could my idea be accomplished with a 'Favourite' or "Rating' tag ??

Your combined wisdoms would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I use KID3 tagging manager on a Mac to do my bulk tagging.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2018, 10:47 (This post was last modified: 04-01-2018 10:49 by simoncn.)
RE: newbie question: can one search by 'Rating' or "Favourites'?
You can add any tag name to your files (depending on what your tagging program will allow) and configure the tag name for indexing/browsing by adding it to the MinimServer indexTags property.

Browsing is normally by tag name and value (for example, Rating>5) but you can combine the two steps by adding an automatic selection value to the indexTags name. For example, to browse by Favourites, you could set all your Favourites tags to the value 1 and put Favourites=1 in indexTags.
06-01-2018, 02:29
Thumbs Up RE: newbie question: can one search by 'Rating' or "Favourites'?
works like a charm.

Thank you for the truly excellent music server.

(04-01-2018 10:47)simoncn Wrote:  You can add any tag name to your files (depending on what your tagging program will allow) and configure the tag name for indexing/browsing by adding it to the MinimServer indexTags property.

Browsing is normally by tag name and value (for example, Rating>5) but you can combine the two steps by adding an automatic selection value to the indexTags name. For example, to browse by Favourites, you could set all your Favourites tags to the value 1 and put Favourites=1 in indexTags.
10-01-2018, 00:42 (This post was last modified: 10-01-2018 01:02 by pask.)
(06-01-2018 02:29)mmpavan Wrote:  works like a charm.

Thank you for the truly excellent music server.

(04-01-2018 10:47)simoncn Wrote:  You can add any tag name to your files (depending on what your tagging program will allow) and configure the tag name for indexing/browsing by adding it to the MinimServer indexTags property.

Hi Mmpavan,

I'm new to minimserver, can you explain me how you managed to get it to work please ?
10-01-2018, 05:54
You will need a program that can change the metadata tags in your music.

within that program, create/add a new tag, call it 'Favourites' for example. For your Favourites, give it a value 1 Otherwise leave blank

Now in your Minim Server Preferences, add 'Favourites=1' to the list of IndexTags. see the attached image. Then rescan

Minim will then categorize that music with the metadata tag Favourites with value 1 . it will ignore that music with no Favourites tag. (not sure what will happen if the Favourites value is 0 or left blank)

You should be able to do it as well by Rating, say with values 1,2,3..., but I didn't try it. My *guess* is that Minim will make a category 'Rating' and then a series of subcategories '1' '2', etc

hope that helps.

(10-01-2018 00:42)pask Wrote:  Hi Mmpavan,

I'm new to minimserver, can you explain me how you managed to get it to work please ?

10-01-2018, 10:50
That simple ! Thanks Smile
11-01-2018, 20:03 (This post was last modified: 11-01-2018 20:04 by pask.)
hi again Smile

It works fine when I set the "AlbumRating=5:Albums ★★★★★", but not when I set "AlbumRating>4:Albums ★★★★★" in the IndexTags

any idea ?
11-01-2018, 22:28 (This post was last modified: 11-01-2018 22:30 by DavidHB.)
(11-01-2018 20:03)pask Wrote:  It works fine when I set the "AlbumRating=5:Albums ★★★★★", but not when I set "AlbumRating>4:Albums ★★★★★" in the IndexTags

The relevant section of the User Guide only mentions "=", as far as I can see, and it means "for this tag, always select the index entries that have the value of ...". The ">" character appears to have no meaning in this context; when you use it, do you get errors in the log?

David
11-01-2018, 23:41
This wouldn't produce an error. MinimServer would assume you want to index a tag named 'AlbumRating>4'.
12-01-2018, 00:06
(11-01-2018 23:41)simoncn Wrote:  This wouldn't produce an error. MinimServer would assume you want to index a tag named 'AlbumRating>4'.

Ah. Thanks, Simon.

David