Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble Playing DSD128 on Melco N1Z > USB > PS Audio DirectStream
28-12-2017, 18:22
RE: Trouble Playing DSD128 on Melco N1Z > USB > PS Audio DirectStream
I have just downloaded and tried the Mozart Violin Concerto movement with no problems. I have an N1ZH60 MkII feeding a Chord DAVE. I have Twonky switched off and no MinimStreamer, I use Melco's internal DoPWav conversion. The USB cable is Chord Sarum, a notoriously poor cable for DSD.
Sorry if that puts the focus back on your kit. I have been told that Audioquest are particularly good DSD cables by the way.

Melco N1ZH/2 (updated to EX) MinimServer2, Chord M Scaler, DAVE, SPM1200MKII, Wilson Benesch Vectors
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2017, 16:12
Thanks very much for performing the experiment and reporting back, beckphotonik. Since my last post, I had problems playing 24/192 PCM and DSD64 off of my Melco's internal HDD. As an experiment, I removed MinimServer. I am now playing 24/192 PCM, DSD64 and DSD128 without problems. Clearly, there was something about my MinimServer install (as opposed to MinimServer itself) that was getting my high-res playback bolluxed up. Perhaps MinimServer and Twonky were running simultaneously?

I am considering reinstalling MinimServer, as it does sound better than Twonky. I am interested by your reference to "Melco's internal DoPWav conversion." Are you referring to the "DSD over PCM priority mode" setting?

Thanks again and happy New Year to all!

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk1 (MinimServer 2) --> network --> AURALiC ARIES G2 --> Lightning Link (WWPS7 hdmi) --> AURALiC VEGA G2 with AURALiC LEO GX Master Clock --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 523 --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7
31-12-2017, 16:30
(31-12-2017 16:12)GreenMtnGringo Wrote:  Thanks very much for performing the experiment and reporting back, beckphotonik. Since my last post, I had problems playing 24/192 PCM and DSD64 off of my Melco's internal HDD. As an experiment, I removed MinimServer. I am now playing 24/192 PCM, DSD64 and DSD128 without problems. Clearly, there was something about my MinimServer install (as opposed to MinimServer itself) that was getting my high-res playback bolluxed up. Perhaps MinimServer and Twonky were running simultaneously?

I am considering reinstalling MinimServer, as it does sound better than Twonky. I am interested by your reference to "Melco's internal DoPWav conversion." Are you referring to the "DSD over PCM priority mode" setting?

Thanks again and happy New Year to all!
Yes, I think that is the setting. I used to have an N1A MkI and had so much trouble with DSD that I eventually purchased a DSD to PCM converter app and henceforth listened only in PCM. I had different DSD stability results depending on which USB socket I used, what sort of USB cable, whether MinimStreamer was doing the DoP conversion or not, the list seemed endless so I gave up on DSD. Since getting the N1ZH MkII and a firmware upgrade to my Chord DAVE, I have started listening to DSD again. Whether that is down to the dedicated audio USB output or a more powerful processor in the MkII kit and the ability to switch off Twonky, who knows. I do get the impression that high rate DSD is still a bit bleeding edge for a lot of kit regardless of whether the spec says it is supposed to support it.

Melco N1ZH/2 (updated to EX) MinimServer2, Chord M Scaler, DAVE, SPM1200MKII, Wilson Benesch Vectors
31-12-2017, 16:48
According to Chord's website, your DAVE DAC supports native DSD playback. By contrast, my PS Audio DirectStream DAC plays DSD only in DoP mode (except for its I2S inputs, which purportedly accept native DSD). As such, I would assume you do not need to convert DSD to WAV or DoP, in the Melco or via MinimServer. I am listening to a DSD128 file on my Melco HDD as I type this (Twonky > USB > DAC), with the Melco set to "DSD over PCM priority mode." It is working as intended and sounding quite good.

Which version of the Melco firmware are you running? I have v3.72 and I do not see a way to switch off Twonky.

Thanks.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk1 (MinimServer 2) --> network --> AURALiC ARIES G2 --> Lightning Link (WWPS7 hdmi) --> AURALiC VEGA G2 with AURALiC LEO GX Master Clock --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 523 --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7
31-12-2017, 17:08
(31-12-2017 16:48)GreenMtnGringo Wrote:  According to Chord's website, your DAVE DAC supports native DSD playback. By contrast, my PS Audio DirectStream DAC plays DSD only in DoP mode (except for its I2S inputs, which purportedly accept native DSD). As such, I would assume you do not need to convert DSD to WAV or DoP, in the Melco or via MinimServer. I am listening to a DSD128 file on my Melco HDD as I type this (Twonky > USB > DAC), with the Melco set to "DSD over PCM priority mode." It is working as intended and sounding quite good.

Which version of the Melco firmware are you running? I have v3.72 and I do not see a way to switch off Twonky.

Thanks.
I am running 3.72 and cannot see a way to switch off Twonky from the user guide. There is a way to do it by editing a MinimServer config file that Simon has documented on the MinimServer Melco Install pages. It is quite easy to do.
As for my DAVE and "Native" DSD, I remain confused! I have Audirvana on my MacBook and that detects if a USB DAC can support DSD "Natively", i.e. non DoP. My little iFi Nano supports it but not my DAVE and that appears to be confirmed by the display on my N1ZH. So I remain unsure as to the precise data transport system used between the renderer and DAVE.

31-12-2017, 18:07
(31-12-2017 17:08)beckphotonik Wrote:  
(31-12-2017 16:48)GreenMtnGringo Wrote:  According to Chord's website, your DAVE DAC supports native DSD playback. By contrast, my PS Audio DirectStream DAC plays DSD only in DoP mode (except for its I2S inputs, which purportedly accept native DSD). As such, I would assume you do not need to convert DSD to WAV or DoP, in the Melco or via MinimServer. I am listening to a DSD128 file on my Melco HDD as I type this (Twonky > USB > DAC), with the Melco set to "DSD over PCM priority mode." It is working as intended and sounding quite good.

Thanks.
I am running 3.72 and cannot see a way to switch off Twonky from the user guide. There is a way to do it by editing a MinimServer config file that Simon has documented on the MinimServer Melco Install pages. It is quite easy to do.
As for my DAVE and "Native" DSD, I remain confused! I have Audirvana on my MacBook and that detects if a USB DAC can support DSD "Natively", i.e. non DoP. My little iFi Nano supports it but not my DAVE and that appears to be confirmed by the display on my N1ZH. So I remain unsure as to the precise data transport system used between the renderer and DAVE.
Confusion resolved! Chord DAVE is Native DSD when in DSD+ mode. When in PCM+ mode it is DoP. As the majority of my music is PCM and it takes 20+ seconds to switch modes, I use PCM+ mode. So my tests on this DSD128 file were carried out using the Melco DoP facility.

31-12-2017, 18:55
(31-12-2017 16:12)GreenMtnGringo Wrote:  Clearly, there was something about my MinimServer install (as opposed to MinimServer itself) that was getting my high-res playback bolluxed up. Perhaps MinimServer and Twonky were running simultaneously?

This is very likely to be the cause of the playback problem. If you are still interested in using MinimServer, try reinstalling MinimServer and then disable Twonky by editing the minimserver.options file and restarting the N1.
31-12-2017, 19:03
Hi Simon, thanks, I plan to reinstall MinimServer tomorrow -- a fresh install for the new year. I will report back in this thread as to how it goes.

02-01-2018, 00:46
Hi, and happy New Year. I reinstalled MinimServer on my N1Z Mk. I today. All seems fine so far. I set the Melco to "DSD over PCM Priority Mode" and deleted the "dsf:dopwav" and "dff:dopwav" flags from MinimStreamer. DSD64 and DSD128 are playing correctly on my PS Audio DAC, which can accept DoP via USB (DSD64 and 128) and Ethernet (DSD64 only).

After the MinimServer re-install, I checked the "stoptwonky" setting in the minimserver.options file and it was set to "true." Is there a way to know if Twonky is running despite this "true" setting? Thanks.

02-01-2018, 07:29 (This post was last modified: 02-01-2018 07:30 by simoncn.)
I'm pleased to hear it's working now. If Twonky isn't running, the Browse Songs selection on the front panel won't do anything.