Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer not installing on Synology 214j
01-12-2017, 20:21
MinimServer not installing on Synology 214j
Hi there,

A rather frustrated newbie here who would love some help. Am using a synology NAS and MacBook to stream to some Naim gear.

I think I have installed Minimserver and Java 8, but when I try and open it, I get the error message:

'Sorry, this package cannot be accessed when connected by QuickConnect.'

When I go into QuickConnect, it does not let me edit it/turn it off as it says I am logged on via QuickConnect!

Going nuts! Any help please?

Thanks

S
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2017, 22:39
RE: MinimServer not installing on Synology 214j
This message is not coming from MinimServer. It must be coming from Synology DSM.

I am not familiar with QuickConnect. From a quick web search, it seems that it is used to access your NAS over the internet rather than via a local subnet. Is this what you are doing?
01-12-2017, 22:58
Yes, I access my NAS over the internet. I don't know what a subnet is, why I would need one and how to set it up should I need to!

QuickConnect is on Synology and it seems its a programme to enable connection to the NAS from any PC
02-12-2017, 00:38
(01-12-2017 20:21)spaceryder Wrote:  Hi there,

A rather frustrated newbie here who would love some help. Am using a synology NAS and MacBook to stream to some Naim gear.

I think I have installed Minimserver and Java 8, but when I try and open it, I get the error message:

When I go into QuickConnect, it does not let me edit it/turn it off as it says I am logged on via QuickConnect!

Thanks

S

Perhaps this thread maybe of help to logout of Quick Connect, particularly the final post.

How to logout of Quick Connect.
02-12-2017, 13:25
Do you want to stream music from your NAS across the internet to a music player in a remote location? I am not sure whether this is possible with MinimServer.
02-12-2017, 13:47
(02-12-2017 00:38)Alandbush Wrote:  
(01-12-2017 20:21)spaceryder Wrote:  Hi there,

Thanks

S

Perhaps this thread maybe of help to logout of Quick Connect, particularly the final post.

How to logout of Quick Connect.

Thank you very much, this has worked
02-12-2017, 13:49 (This post was last modified: 02-12-2017 14:04 by spaceryder.)
(02-12-2017 13:25)simoncn Wrote:  Do you want to stream music from your NAS across the internet to a music player in a remote location? I am not sure whether this is possible with MinimServer.

Hello Simon

I have my music on a NAS and I have an ethernet connection to a remote music player ( NAIM) in my lounge. On the NAIM forums, several people seem to be doing this.

Can I use MinimServer for this?

I have installed MinimServer on the NAS and on my Mac and am now stuck. Even going through your page. I cannot see how to get MinimServer to recognise my music on the NAS or, indeed, how to load music to MinimServer.

Yours confused

S
02-12-2017, 15:54
(02-12-2017 13:49)spaceryder Wrote:  I have installed MinimServer on the NAS and on my Mac and am now stuck. Even going through your page. I cannot see how to get MinimServer to recognise my music on the NAS or, indeed, how to load music to MinimServer.

Yours confused

S

With regard to the installation on the NAS, have you successfully completed all the tasks detailed in the Installing or updating MinimServer section?

Doing so, will enable Minimserver to access your NAS music folder and all music files in it. To clear up any doubt, music files are not loaded (moved) into Minimserver.

The Naim player/renderer/control point must then be changed to access the Minimserver music server which enables it to display your music library.
02-12-2017, 17:02
Whoops, I feel really stupid!

Thanks once again. I can find MinimServer on my Naim App. There are many options to view one's music. Is there an 'easy or best' option to use ( I have a lot of classical plus rock)?

Thanks
02-12-2017, 18:19 (This post was last modified: 02-12-2017 18:20 by DavidHB.)
(02-12-2017 17:02)spaceryder Wrote:  Is there an 'easy or best' option to use ( I have a lot of classical plus rock)?

There is no one 'best' way of doing things. The best method for you is the one that you find most convenient. Which, I know, is not a lot of help when you are just starting out.

Think about how you, say, organise your CDs on their shelves. I used to organise my CDs by Genre. Then classical disks (the majority in my collection) were arranged alphabetically by composer and composition, with compilation albums arranged by disk title. Other genres were arranged alphabetically by artist and album. With my digital music library, this makes my most 'natural' browsing sequences Genre (Classical) > Composer > Composition or Genre (not Classical) > Artist > Album.

At each stage of the sequence MinimServer refines (i.e. reduces) the selection. So sometimes I can do, say, Genre (Classical) > Composer > Album, to get the albums with works by the selected composer. You can find yourself taking interesting paths through your collection and finding tracks you didn't realise you even had. Of course, your file tagging has to be complete and consistent for this to work, but, once you get into a routine with the way you tag things, that is not too much of a problem.

I hope this helps.

David