Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimwatch needs Java?
17-11-2017, 11:07
Minimwatch needs Java?
I have recently changed laptop. My new one (as my old one did) runs Windows 10 Pro
I have downloaded Java 8.0.1510.12 and now downloaded Minimwatch 0.8.4
I did a restart between the two
When I click on the Minimwatch icon on my desktop, it opens up Downloads and asks me what I want to do with Mwatch.jar - open or save?
It was very straightforward on my old laptop
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2017, 12:36
RE: Minimwatch needs Java?
This probably means that the .jar extension is not associated with the Java runtime.

Each version of Windows seems to make setting file associations more convoluted. For Windows 10 version 1709, the sequence is Control Panel > Default programs > Associate a file type or protocol ... > Choose default apps by file type, and then associate the .jar extension with Java Platform SE Binary. If you need to search for the actual program, you will normally find it at C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_151\bin\javaw.exe, or whatever comparable path is appropriate to the version of Java you are running.

David
17-11-2017, 12:50
(17-11-2017 12:36)DavidHB Wrote:  This probably means that the .jar extension is not associated with the Java runtime.

Each version of Windows seems to make setting file associations more convoluted. For Windows 10 version 1709, the sequence is Control Panel > Default programs > Associate a file type or protocol ... > Choose default apps by file type, and then associate the .jar extension with Java Platform SE Binary. If you need to search for the actual program, you will normally find it at C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_151\bin\javaw.exe, or whatever comparable path is appropriate to the version of Java you are running.

David
David

When I do as you suggest I am given only two options to associate with .jar.
They are
Internet Explorer
Look for an App in the store

I do not seem to have an option to search for Java
Nor to search

Alan
17-11-2017, 12:57
(17-11-2017 12:50)Alan Robinson Wrote:  
(17-11-2017 12:36)DavidHB Wrote:  This probably means that the .jar extension is not associated with the Java runtime.

David
David

When I do as you suggest I am given only two options to associate with .jar.
They are
Internet Explorer
Look for an App in the store

I do not seem to have an option to search for Java
Nor to search

Alan

David
If I select Select Defaults by App, then Java is not in the list of apps

If I look at Programmes and Features, I have Java 8 Update 151

Have I perhaps not downloaded the proper Java?
17-11-2017, 13:27
To fix this, you can use the Jarfix program.
17-11-2017, 13:40 (This post was last modified: 17-11-2017 13:43 by DavidHB.)
Sorry. It's worse than I thought. I've only just installed 1709, and am just learning what more Microsoft has done to make our lives a misery.

The new dialog will not fix the problem. Fortunately, the old one is hidden, rather than removed. Do Win key + X to get the power menu, then select Command Prompt (Admin). Enter the command

control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageFileAssoc

and you will get the old dialog, with the Change Program button you need to specify javaw.exe. Noe that it needs to be javaw.exe, rather than java.exe, which is also present in the /bin folder.

I hope this works now.

David

P.S. I now see that Simon has come in with the link to Jarfix, which is the better option. I'm leaving this post however, for the benefit of anyone who falls foul of the 1709 'improvement' in some other way.
17-11-2017, 15:08
(17-11-2017 13:40)DavidHB Wrote:  Sorry. It's worse than I thought. I've only just installed 1709, and am just learning what more Microsoft has done to make our lives a misery.

The new dialog will not fix the problem. Fortunately, the old one is hidden, rather than removed. Do Win key + X to get the power menu, then select Command Prompt (Admin). Enter the command

control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageFileAssoc

and you will get the old dialog, with the Change Program button you need to specify javaw.exe. Noe that it needs to be javaw.exe, rather than java.exe, which is also present in the /bin folder.

I hope this works now.

David

P.S. I now see that Simon has come in with the link to Jarfix, which is the better option. I'm leaving this post however, for the benefit of anyone who falls foul of the 1709 'improvement' in some other way.

Thank you Simon
It works

David's post about 1709 should be left for anyone trying to manually set up an account in Outlook 2016. Microsoft have imposed a new "wizard" for this which does not cover all the options required by some providers. The only way around it is to open a working account and using the Outlook 2013 interface, edit it with all the required information for the new one