Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Installing Minimserver on a Synology DS218play
04-11-2017, 15:36
Installing Minimserver on a Synology DS218play
Hello

My venerable Netgear NAS has reached the end of its road and needs replacing. I am looking at a Synology DS218play as I have used two other Synology NASs in the past and have been very happy with them. I am currently running Minimserver on a DS212j with no problems, but I note that the DS218play has a Realtek RTD1296 processor, rather than Intel or Marvell Arm processor. Does anyone know if I can happily install Java on this platform, and if so, what version to download and install?

Many thanks

H
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2017, 19:01
RE: Installing Minimserver on a Synology DS218play
According to this page, the DS218play is an applied model (i.e., supported) for the Java8 package. You would install this from the Synology Package Center and this will automatically give you the correct version.

However, according to this page, MinimServer is not available from the Package Center for this model. I have ordered a DS118 (same CPU) which I will use to build and test a version of MinimServer that is compatible with the DS218play.
05-11-2017, 11:12
Simon

Many thanks for the quick response. My existing NAS is still working well, but running out of space (and speed), so I'll hold off the purchase until you've had a chance to look at the new Synology. As you point out, their web site is not totally clear, but hopefully all will be well.

Thanks again

H
05-11-2017, 16:43
I think the Synology website is clear that you can put Java on the new model but you can't currently put MinimServer on the new model. I will post back here when I have any news.
08-11-2017, 14:00
There is a test build for the DS118 and DS218play available for download from this link. You can install this file by using Manual Install in the Synology Package Center. I have tried this on my DS118 and it is working for me.
18-11-2017, 16:34
Yep, seems fine to me too so far. Many thanks.