Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Melco N1 work if connected via home plug
01-11-2017, 13:42
Will Melco N1 work if connected via home plug
Will MELCO N1 work if network connected via home plug ?

My MELCO is connected directly to the router, but I moved it another room where the network is connection is provide by a Solwise home plug (network over electric sockets), it does not seem to be found. Computer connected to same Solwise plug can see network no problem. Should the MELCO be visible or does it have to be directly connected to router.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2017, 17:06
RE: Will Melco N1 work if connected via home plug
Is it just UPnP discovery that isn't working across Homeplugs or is SMB file sharing also not working?

Some people have problems with UPnP discovery across Homeplugs but in other cases this seems to work. I haven't tried it myself.
Find all posts by this user
01-11-2017, 21:47
(01-11-2017 17:06)simoncn Wrote:  Is it just UPnP discovery that isn't working across Homeplugs or is SMB file sharing also not working?

Some people have problems with UPnP discovery across Homeplugs but in other cases this seems to work. I haven't tried it myself.
It was actually the filesharing I was trying, I couldn't view from my PC and from memory don't think it was showing ipadress on the front of the MELCO. (One of the disks has actually failed so unfortunately I cannot use or test at all at the moment)
01-11-2017, 21:58 (This post was last modified: 01-11-2017 21:59 by simoncn.)
Is it possible that the about-to-fail disk was causing the problem?
02-11-2017, 07:05 (This post was last modified: 02-11-2017 07:05 by paultaylor.)
(01-11-2017 21:58)simoncn Wrote:  Is it possible that the about-to-fail disk was causing the problem?

Seems unlikley, but possible if you say should work with Homeplugs. Since you have confirmed it doesn't have to be connected to router thats all i need to know for now.

thanks Paul
02-11-2017, 10:29
I don't think I said it should work with Homeplugs. I said some people have had success with this kind of setup and some have had problems. This comment relates to UPnP discovery rather than SMB file sharing.

My own view is that an Ethernet cable connection is best and a wireless bridged connection is next best where a cable isn't practical. For the latter, I am using an Asus RT-N66U configured as a bridge and I am very pleased with this setup.
05-11-2017, 02:19
(02-11-2017 10:29)simoncn Wrote:  I don't think I said it should work with Homeplugs. I said some people have had success with this kind of setup and some have had problems. This comment relates to UPnP discovery rather than SMB file sharing.

My own view is that an Ethernet cable connection is best and a wireless bridged connection is next best where a cable isn't practical. For the latter, I am using an Asus RT-N66U configured as a bridge and I am very pleased with this setup.

I have had always bad experiences with homeplugs. I never use them anymore.

Simon, one naive question : in my architecture, the synology and the Linn are on a same switch (a cisco SG110D-05). I am trying to understand the flux of music between the Linn and the minimserver, when playing (not when discovering).

Do the packets go all way through the router, or do they transit only through the switch ? One day, I made an experiment, which was to unplug the ethernet cable between the switch and the router while playing. Not only the music stopped after some time, but it created a bloody mess: the IP table was jammed, and no equipment was recognized any more. I had to switch off all equipments including the router, and to switch them on all again !!!

Thx
05-11-2017, 16:34
The audio data would go only via the switch. However, if you are using a UPnP control point such as Kazoo or Kinsky, status information would flow from the Linn to the control point and this would probably go via the router depending on how the control point is connected.

I haven't done the same experiment as you but I have experimented with removing the cable from the network port of my Melco N1 while playing music via the player port. If the Melco was set up with a DHCP address, the music stopped. If the Melco was set up with a static IP address, the music did not stop.