Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Java Update reverts Windows 10 settings for MinimWatch
24-10-2017, 12:39
Java Update reverts Windows 10 settings for MinimWatch
I don't know whether this is a Windows 10 problem or a Java problem or both.

Whenever I update Java, the noisy and disruptive notifications for MinimWatch return, and I have to go back into Windows settings to turn them off. At the same time, the green MinimServer icons opened by MinimWatch (which I want to see) are hidden, and I have to go back into Taskbar settings to make them visible again. Has anyone found a way to prevent these irritations?

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2017, 17:16
RE: Java Update reverts Windows 10 settings for MinimWatch
What are these noisy and disruptive notifications for MinimWatch? I am not a Windows 10 user but I have access to a test system.
24-10-2017, 18:38 (This post was last modified: 24-10-2017 18:39 by DavidHB.)
(24-10-2017 17:16)simoncn Wrote:  What are these noisy and disruptive notifications for MinimWatch? I am not a Windows 10 user but I have access to a test system.

If Notifications are set for Java Platform SE binary (which appears to be the default), you get both a loud 'dong' and a flag appearing at the lower right of the screen, just above the taskbar. Interestingly, these notifications are out of sync (typically somewhat behind) MinimServer's own notifications in the log. The flag will also partly obscure the context menus for the tray icons.

The notifications are effectively useless, so I switch them off (Settings > Notificatons and actions > Get notifications from these senders > Java Platform SE binary), only to see them return evey time I update Java.

David
24-10-2017, 18:51
This is presumably because the Java update installs a new copy of Java and this new copy gets the default notification settings from Windows, just like any newly installed program would.
24-10-2017, 21:05
(24-10-2017 18:51)simoncn Wrote:  This is presumably because the Java update installs a new copy of Java and this new copy gets the default notification settings from Windows, just like any newly installed program would.

Yes, I am sure that something like that is happening. The question is: does it need to be like that? We are all familiar with install programs of one sort and another that update as well as install, and preserve the settings of the previous version. And many Windows updates preserve settings as well. But it's not happening in this case. I was really checking whether any other forum user had encountered the issue, and found a way around it.

David
15-10-2018, 13:36
(24-10-2017 21:05)DavidHB Wrote:  
(24-10-2017 18:51)simoncn Wrote:  This is presumably because the Java update installs a new copy of Java and this new copy gets the default notification settings from Windows, just like any newly installed program would.

Yes, I am sure that something like that is happening. The question is: does it need to be like that? We are all familiar with install programs of one sort and another that update as well as install, and preserve the settings of the previous version. And many Windows updates preserve settings as well. But it's not happening in this case. I was really checking whether any other forum user had encountered the issue, and found a way around it.

David

Hi David,
Did you get a resolution to this annoyance? I am in a slightly worse situation as every time the computer sleeps the notification switch and all the settings for notifications reverts to their original settings i.e. ON
Dave