Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimwatch won't run - java path?
20-10-2017, 11:40
Minimwatch won't run - java path?
Hi, after a disastrous experience with a Win 10 update which screwed up everything on my aging laptop, I had to roll back to a previous version of windows, but in the process of trying to get the new update working, I was asked to update my Java version, which I did. Now I've rolled back, all is running well except something to do with the java path (I think). I get the following when attempting to start minimwatch:

How do you want to open this file?
Keep using this app
"C:\Program Files (x86\Java\jre1.8.0_121\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

Now I know there is something wrong with my path as typing java in a cmd window gets no response, so I have attempted to fix the path but it got late last night and I don't believe I've set it correctly, so I'll start again with a clear head this evening.

My main question (finally!) is do I have to somehow change where minimwatch is looking for java as well? The path in the message is now wrong...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2017, 12:17 (This post was last modified: 20-10-2017 12:18 by simoncn.)
RE: Minimwatch won't run - java path?
The jarfix program (see this page) should fix this problem. If not, uninstall and reinstall Java.
20-10-2017, 13:32
(20-10-2017 12:17)simoncn Wrote:  The jarfix program (see this page) should fix this problem. If not, uninstall and reinstall Java.

Super. Thank you Simon. I will give that a go tonight
19-11-2017, 15:54
(20-10-2017 13:32)Glandwr Wrote:  
(20-10-2017 12:17)simoncn Wrote:  The jarfix program (see this page) should fix this problem. If not, uninstall and reinstall Java.

Super. Thank you Simon. I will give that a go tonight

This still might suffer the similar problems some day when any MS update reverts your filetype association for the .jar extension. Or in case you need to open jar files with something such as WinRAR for differnt tasks.

I therefore prefer differnt solutions.
1) propper looking way
create a new link on your desktop (right mousebutton, new, link)
for the command to be executed enter
"javaw -jar mwatch.jar"
without the quotes

for the location where to be executed
"%programfiles%\MinimWatch\lib\"
again w/o quotes

if you're in need supply the correct icon by pointing the symbol (middle button at the bottom of the window) to
%programfiles%\MinimWatch\lib\MinimWatch.ico

done Smile

2) quick'n'dirty
open up Editor.exe or something else and type the following line into a new textfile
CD %programfiles%\MinimWatch\lib\
start "" javaw -jar mwatch.jar

and then do a 'save as' not as text but for example as 'mwatch.cmd'.

When you double click the cmd file it opens a shell windows which gets closed ASAP and MinimWatch gets started no matter whatever windows did associate for the .jar extension. Doesn't look as nice since it won't have the nice Mwatch Icon though.