Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimWatch - no tray icon(s) or desktop launcher
24-11-2017, 13:17
RE: MinimWatch - no tray icon(s) or desktop launcher
To fix the "unable to create tray icon" error message, you need to install TopIcons Plus.

How exactly are you trying to run mscript?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2017, 17:38
(24-11-2017 13:17)simoncn Wrote:  To fix the "unable to create tray icon" error message, you need to install TopIcons Plus.

How exactly are you trying to run mscript?

OK, I'll have another go at TopIcons.

Code:
nick@nick-build-1:~$ cd Programmes
nick@nick-build-1:~/Programmes$ minimwatch/bin/mscript
MScript: configuration directory not found
nick@nick-build-1:~/Programmes$ minimwatch/bin/mscript --help
MScript: configuration directory not found
nick@nick-build-1:~/Programmes$

I really do appreciate your continued help with this.
24-11-2017, 21:53 (This post was last modified: 24-11-2017 21:53 by simoncn.)
This is a bug in mscript.jar and it will be fixed in the next release of MinimWatch. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to fix it in an update.

As an interim solution, you can download a new version of mscript.jar containing the fix from this link, then copy this jar over the current version of mscript.jar in minimwatch/lib.

Thanks for helping me find and fix this problem.
25-11-2017, 14:53
Thanks, mscript working now - brilliant!

Still trying to get TopIcons installed. I think my Gnome-shell isn't running properly. I've posted on the Ubuntu forums and hoping someone will come to my rescue soon. Thanks again for all your assistance on this.
27-11-2017, 10:09
Finally got there: MinimWatch icons again appearing properly in the top tray of my desktop of choice (Gnome Flashback (Metacity)

For the benefit of others, what I did was:

1. Log out and log back in choosing GNOME (from the little cog settings menu)
2. Install TopIcons Plus (https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1031/topicons/)
3. Log back into Flashback, Alt+right-click on top panel, choose "Add to panel", choose "Notification area"
4. Restart MinimWatch and - hey presto! - there they are!

Thanks again, Simon, for your help. I don't know if within the developer community there are awards etc, but if there are I'd certainly want to nominate you as an exemplar for product support. And I suspect the software is exemplary too in terms of standards and efficiency, though I'm not qualified to judge on that.
27-11-2017, 22:40
Thanks very much for your kind words. I am pleased to hear that MinimWatch is working correctly for you now.
29-12-2017, 16:49
(24-11-2017 11:09)nickc Wrote:  
(23-11-2017 19:35)simoncn Wrote:  There might be a problem with your minimstart.conf file. It should say:

java = /usr/lib/jvm/jre-9/bin/java

Aha! Yes, I had the full path originally - before sorting the right java - then after reading something I removed the vital /bin/java, thinking it was the folder it needed to point to.

So definite progress, as I now get different error messages!

In the continued absence of the much lamented tray icons, I've been trying to communicate with minimwatch via the command line. I'm not clear of the different purposes of startc, startd and starti. Running startc and starti both produce the same:

Quote:MinimWatch startup error

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/openhome/net/controlpoint/ICpDeviceListListener

Nothing appears to happen when I run startd, and I'm wondering if the d is for "desktop"?

So next I re-read through your guidance on Mscript and tried running that, but all I can get from it is:

Quote:MScript error

Configuration directory not found

Another path not correctly configured, I wonder?
Until today I was happily running minimwatch with java 9 on ubuntu 17.10/Gnome (as per thread at http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthr...tid=4118).

Unfortunately I have just found that on of my other rarely used but essential applications doesn't work under java 9, so I had to set my default java version to 8. Now the minimwatch icons appear, but no right or left clicks work, so the icons don't do anything.

I'm fairly sure that if I knew how I could tell minimwatch to use java 9 (it is still installed). However I can't find a 'minimstart.conf' file as suggested above. Is there a way to do this?
29-12-2017, 18:12 (This post was last modified: 29-12-2017 18:12 by simoncn.)
If the minimstart.conf file doesn't exist, you can create it with a text editor (in the minimwatch/etc directory).
29-12-2017, 18:28
(29-12-2017 18:12)simoncn Wrote:  If the minimstart.conf file doesn't exist, you can create it with a text editor (in the minimwatch/etc directory).
If I knew exactly what it was meant to contain I would, but I'm not sure.
29-12-2017, 23:26
I thought this was explained earlier in the thread but it seems that it might have been sent in a PM.

The minimstart.conf file should contain a single line

java = /full/linux/path/to/desired/java

In your case, this would be the full path to the JDK 9 version of the java executable that you want MinimWatch to use.