Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimWatch - no tray icon(s) or desktop launcher
08-10-2017, 13:05
MinimWatch - no tray icon(s) or desktop launcher
I've recently installed Ubuntu 16.04LTS with Gnome fallback on an old desktop pc, which is also running U.12.04LTS on a separate partition. MinimWatch is running happily there, but after installing it on U.16.04 and saying "yes" to auto startup and desktop integration, neither seems to materialise. On startup I get an "unable to create tray icon" message (still occasionally happening on 12.04) and no desktop launcher (which on 12.04 enables me to start the tray icons). Yet MinimWatch appears to be running and have found the two instances of MinimServer on the network:

Code:
nick@nick-build-1:~/Programmes$ minimwatch/bin/startc
MinimWatch 0.8.4.7, Copyright (c) 2012-2017 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Enter command (? for help):
Selected media server: MinimServer[QNAP-TS-109]
MinimServer[QNAP-TS-109] is running
MinimServer[LandroNAP] is running
>

I tried updating to version 0.8.4.7, even though I'm only running Java 8, but it makes no difference.

What am I missing?

PS There's a typo on the "Running MinimWatch on Linux" section of the MinimServer installation for Linux page: "To start MinimWatch as an interactive console application in the current terminal window, use the command:
<minim-home>/[u]minimswatch[/u]/bin/startc "
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2017, 15:29
RE: MinimWatch - no tray icon(s) or desktop launcher
What is "Gnome fallback"? Are you using the GNOME desktop on 16.04 LTS? Which desktop are you using on 12.04 LTS?

The typo should be fixed now—thanks!
08-10-2017, 19:14
(08-10-2017 15:29)simoncn Wrote:  What is "Gnome fallback"? Are you using the GNOME desktop on 16.04 LTS? Which desktop are you using on 12.04 LTS?

The typo should be fixed now—thanks!

Sorry, I should have made that clearer. On 12.04 I'm using the "Classic Gnome" desktop, ie no Unity, narrow panels along top & bottom of the screen. Because I like that so much better, for 16.04 I actually installed Ubuntu Gnome (https://ubuntugnome.org/download/). During or immediately after installing there's an option for different desktops and I chose what I think was called Gnome-fallback. It gives me a very similar environment to the one I'm used to on 12.04.
08-10-2017, 19:29 (This post was last modified: 08-10-2017 20:21 by simoncn.)
I'm not aware of any problem that would prevent the desktop launch icon showing on a GNOME desktop. There have been problems with autostart and with the minim tray icon.

I suggest you do the following:

1) Make sure you don't run anything in the following list as the root user. If you have permission problems without this, please post details here.
2) Use minimwatch/bin/setup to disable desktop integration and automatic startup
3) Use minimwatch/bin/uninstall to completely uninstall minimwatch
4) Do a new installation of MinimWatch 0.8.4.7
5) Use minimwatch/bin/setup to enable desktop integration but not automatic startup

Does this produce a launch icon on the desktop?

If there isn't a launch icon, it could be that the expected location of .desktop files has changed in GNOME on 16.04. MinimWatch is creating a minimwatch.desktop file in the ~/Desktop directory.
09-10-2017, 08:34 (This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 08:40 by nickc.)
(08-10-2017 19:29)simoncn Wrote:  I'm not aware of any problem that would prevent the desktop launch icon showing on a GNOME desktop. There have been problems with autostart and with the minim tray icon.

I suggest you do the following:

1) Make sure you don't run anything in the following list as the root user. If you have permission problems without this, please post details here.
2) Use minimwatch/bin/setup to disable desktop integration and automatic startup
3) Use minimwatch/bin/uninstall to completely uninstall minimwatch
4) Do a new installation of MinimWatch 0.8.4.7
5) Use minimwatch/bin/setup to enable desktop integration but not automatic startup

Does this produce a launch icon on the desktop?

There is a Desktop folder in my home folder, but it's empty, no hidden files or anything. (It's a very new install and I haven't put anything on the desktop yet.)

If there isn't a launch icon, it could be that the expected location of .desktop files has changed in GNOME on 16.04. MinimWatch is creating a minimwatch.desktop file in the ~/Desktop directory.

Thanks for your help.
Permission issues arose before completion:

Code:
nick@nick-build-1:~/Programmes$ minimwatch/bin/setup

MinimWatch desktop integration is enabled
MinimWatch automatic startup is enabled

Do you want to change these settings (y/n)?
y
Enable desktop integration for MinimWatch (y/n)?
n
MinimWatch desktop integration has been disabled

Enable automatic startup for MinimWatch (y/n)?
n
Acquiring root privilege for system configuration update...
[sudo] password for nick:

I didn't enter my password and aborted to await further advice.
09-10-2017, 08:50
This is normal and you should enter your password. By "permission issues", I meant error messages saying that files could not be deleted. Apologies for the confusion.
09-10-2017, 09:19
OK, so having uninstalled and reinstalled as you instructed I do now have the MinimWatch launch icon in my Desktop folder - but it doesn't actually show on the desktop! Weird! No matter, I've found I can drag it to the top tray where I have other frequently used launch icons. However, it's not much use, as when I click on it I still get the "unable to create tray icon" startup error! It's not a big deal: MinimServer is working fine on both NAS and I still have Ubuntu 12.04 on the pc should I need to do any maintenance etc. Thanks again for your help.
09-10-2017, 09:28
Are you sure you have the correct version of Java installed? If you have the "headless" version, you will get this "unable to create tray icon" error.
09-10-2017, 11:32
(09-10-2017 09:28)simoncn Wrote:  Are you sure you have the correct version of Java installed? If you have the "headless" version, you will get this "unable to create tray icon" error.

It is possible, as I got into a bit of a muddle with java, at one point aborting as I noticed it was the headless version that appeared to be downloading, despite having, I thought, clicked on the non-headless. In the end I think I found the open version (ie not Oracle0 was already installed - maybe standard now on this version of Ubuntu?

Code:
nick@nick-build-1:~$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_131"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-8u131-b11-2ubuntu1.16.04.3-b11)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)
09-10-2017, 14:31 (This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 14:32 by simoncn.)
This output doesn't tell you whether it is headless or not. I am fairly sure this is the problem. You should be able to install the full version without uninstalling the headless version as the full version is effectively an add-on to the headless version.

This doesn't explain why you're not getting the desktop launcher icon. I have tried 17.04 with GNOME and the desktop icon is working for me.