Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Random Track Playing
04-10-2017, 21:24
Random Track Playing
After several years of no issues whatsoever I'm experiencing a strange problem whereby tracks in any Playlist are playing in a random order?

My Music Library is on my QNAP TS-451 and I am playing through a Linn DSM.

I am having the same problem even if I change Control Point e.g. Bubble DS on my Android tablet or Kinsky on a Windows laptop., so I am homing in on MinimServer?

I've tried all the usual fixes to reload and rescan the Library, stopped and started MinimServer but to no avail??

Hope someone can suggest a fix - really annoying when listening to Opera!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2017, 22:39
RE: Random Track Playing
Is it truly random (i.e., a different order each time you play the playlist) or is the order incorrect but consistent every time? If it is the former, you have accidentally enabled shuffle mode in your control point or renderer.
04-10-2017, 22:51
Thanks Simon for your very quick response.

It seems that the order is incorrect but consistent every time - so not truly random?

As I'm primarily a Classical and Opera fan I've never used Shuffle Play.
04-10-2017, 23:26
It is easy to enable shuffle play accidentally without intending to do so.

When you say "playlist", do you mean a .m3u playlist or the playing queue that is maintained by the DSM? If it is the latter, do the tracks appear in the correct order when you view the playing queue in your control point?
05-10-2017, 09:16
Possible that I could have enabled shuffle play accidentally - but unlikely.

Playlist means the playing queue that is maintained by the DSM where the tracks appear in the correct order.
05-10-2017, 10:15 (This post was last modified: 05-10-2017 14:27 by simoncn.)
It is not possible for the server to change the order of playing. The renderer takes tracks from its playing queue and sends streaming requests to the server. The server can only stream the tracks that the renderer has requested in the order that it has requested them.

Edit: The above applies to a renderer using the OpenHome protocol, such as a Linn DSM. For an UPnP AV renderer, it is the control point that maintains the playing queue and tells the renderer which tracks to request from the server and in which order. The server cannot tell which of these approaches is being used.
05-10-2017, 12:12
As you are using the term 'DSM', this is presumably a Linn device, and as Simon says, this is not a server issue. This might be one to raise on the Linn Troubleshooting forum.

I have never heard a of a mismatch between the master playlist maintained by the DSM and the (derivative) playlist displayed by the control point. As regards shuffle play, on the current Linn remote (REM020) it is selected by pressing and holding the * key, so can happen by accident.

David
06-10-2017, 21:50
(05-10-2017 12:12)DavidHB Wrote:  As you are using the term 'DSM', this is presumably a Linn device ...

As I stated clearly in my Post " ... I am playing through a Linn DSM".

(05-10-2017 12:12)DavidHB Wrote:  ...and as Simon says, this is not a server issue.

I read what Simon said, so no need to repeat it?

(05-10-2017 12:12)DavidHB Wrote:  This might be one to raise on the Linn Troubleshooting forum.

Don't think so!

(05-10-2017 12:12)DavidHB Wrote:  I have never heard a of a mismatch between the master playlist maintained by the DSM and the (derivative) playlist displayed by the control point.

Again , I think Simon already said that, so no need to repeat it!

(05-10-2017 12:12)DavidHB Wrote:  As regards shuffle play, on the current Linn remote (REM020) it is selected by pressing and holding the * key, so can happen by accident.

The Linn remote (REM020) is in a drawer and has no batteries!
06-10-2017, 22:50
If you open Kinsky on your Windows laptop and select the DSM as the renderer, does the shuffle icon appear in blue or in white?

Have you tried powering the DSM off and on? This would clear shuffle mode if it has been selected accidentally. Also, if the DSM is malfunctioning in some way, it might clear this malfunction.