Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Minim/Asset/iTunes on Win 7 PC
01-10-2017, 15:16
Minim/Asset/iTunes on Win 7 PC
I'm thinking of installing MinimServer on a Win 7 Ent SP1 PC. I already have Asset UPnP and iTunes running concurrently on this PC, with no issues. I'd like to run MinimServer concurrently with them.

How much of a speed penalty would this entail?
What pitfalls do I need to avoid?
Do I have to change Minim's default ports?
Can Minim and Asset point to the same music files?
Can both Minim and Asset stream at the same time w/o interfering w/ each other?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2017, 13:39
RE: Minim/Asset/iTunes on Win 7 PC
(01-10-2017 15:16)Rasmussen Wrote:  I'm thinking of installing MinimServer on a Win 7 Ent SP1 PC. I already have Asset UPnP and iTunes running concurrently on this PC, with no issues. I'd like to run MinimServer concurrently with them.

How much of a speed penalty would this entail?
What pitfalls do I need to avoid?
Do I have to change Minim's default ports?
Can Minim and Asset point to the same music files?
Can both Minim and Asset stream at the same time w/o interfering w/ each other?

Thanks.

My first question would be why you would have two pieces of software that essentially do the same task, run concurrently on the same hardware? You only need one of these to stream to many different devices at the same time with different streams.

Also, what is the hardware spec of your PC? And what other software runs on that PC?

1. That would depend on your hardware. But both Agent and MinimServer are light applications that have been optimised for low-RAM/low-Speed hardware. Unless you run something really archaic you shouldn't notice.
  2. No known pitfalls.
  3. You need to check the ports that Agent uses against the ports MinimServer and -Streamer use. Check with Spoon for his ports.
  4. Yes, they can both look at the same library. Just ensure you refresh both when you change the library (adding songs or updating metadata).
  5. Yes, both can stream at the same time. It will depend on your hardware how smooth it will all be. Furthermore, it matters whether the software does any transcoding (e.g. 16/44 FLAC to 24/192 WAV) or whether there is other software performing heavy tasks.
04-10-2017, 22:36
Thank you for your reply. AFAICT, Minim uses ports 9790 & 9791, while Asset uses 26125.

But... documentation is not always up to date, and theory is not practice. And there are here and there posts of people running both concurrently, but all of them too old (2012, 2014). So I'm hoping for input from people who are using this configuration or have used it recently.

(03-10-2017 13:39)Pepsican Wrote:  My first question would be why you would have two pieces of software that essentially do the same task, run concurrently on the same hardware?

I was hoping not to get into that.

It's not really complicated. My library is probably above average in size and growing (so far, I've ripped a little over half of my CD collection). I've been using Asset, and I'm not happy with how slow browsing is. It's not a network issue (I can stream hi-rez FLACs over WiFi w/o problems). Moreover, I find that browsing a (Western) classical music collection is completely different from browsing a jazz collection.

So the obvious solution is to split the library in two -- classical and everything else. Ideally, each would be on its own physical server, but space and budget restrictions preclude that. So (at least to begin with) they'll have to be on the same PC, using the same hard drive. I plan to use Minim for the classical library and Asset for the jazz/etc library. (The most recent version of Asset allows for multiple instances, but it's a new feature and seems to have some of bugs.)
10-10-2017, 08:20 (This post was last modified: 10-10-2017 08:21 by Pepsican.)
(04-10-2017 22:36)Rasmussen Wrote:  Thank you for your reply. AFAICT, Minim uses ports 9790 & 9791, while Asset uses 26125.

But... documentation is not always up to date, and theory is not practice. And there are here and there posts of people running both concurrently, but all of them too old (2012, 2014). So I'm hoping for input from people who are using this configuration or have used it recently.

Port numbers rarely change so I think you can safely rely on these port numbers.

Hmm...I'm not so sure whether your issue is the servers. I think it is more the metadata of your files. I have a rather eclectic collection of music that ranges from Metal, through pop, Jazz through to classical and opera and I find one server can do it all. But you need to clean up the metadata thoroughly (I used MP3Tag) and think through your tagging. Also, you need to make use of FLAC's ability to allow any tags. In other words, you can make your own tags (I did this to record the original release date for remastered CDs) and MinimServer will support you fully here (Agent will not). Even standard ID3 has a rather eclectic set of tags available, but most music distributors will only use a few basic ones, so you'll need to update the rest yourself. It took me over a year to tag my CDs correctly. Don't forget that when you split your collection across servers you cannot mix-and-match them anymore in your playlists. So, you may be limiting yourself.
10-10-2017, 10:04
(04-10-2017 22:36)Rasmussen Wrote:  It's not really complicated. My library is probably above average in size and growing (so far, I've ripped a little over half of my CD collection). I've been using Asset, and I'm not happy with how slow browsing is. It's not a network issue (I can stream hi-rez FLACs over WiFi w/o problems). Moreover, I find that browsing a (Western) classical music collection is completely different from browsing a jazz collection.

MinimServer browsing is very efficient and I doubt that you would have any browsing performance issues if you were to use MinimServer for the entire library. However, rescanning the library to add new music can be slow with a large library. I am hoping to improve this in a future version of MinimServer.
10-10-2017, 15:22
(10-10-2017 08:20)Pepsican Wrote:  Hmm...I'm not so sure whether your issue is the servers. I think it is more the metadata of your files.[...]

That's exactly what I wished to avoid.

It seems to me that tagging, metadata, etc, are a different topic.

I should be grateful if we remain focused on the issue, which is running three different music servers (Asset, iTunes, Minim) concurrently on the same machine. Thanks.
10-10-2017, 15:33
(10-10-2017 10:04)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer browsing is very efficient and I doubt that you would have any browsing performance issues if you were to use MinimServer for the entire library. However, rescanning the library to add new music can be slow with a large library. I am hoping to improve this in a future version of MinimServer.

Thanks, I'll test it as time permits and report back.

As to adding new music to Asset, it seems to me that it is not particularly slow, but it gradually degrades browsing performance. I set up a nightly complete library rebuild, and that seems to make browsing much less of a pain.