Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WD My Net N900 Central
22-09-2017, 10:09
WD My Net N900 Central
Hi,

I have just started streaming cd's copied to mentioned router/NAS server. Connected to the streamer/hifi with ethernet.

Problems is that the artists name very often doesn't show on the streamer unit, even if it exists on the file when looking at it in Windows Media Player. Two different songs that look as having similar informations in WMP can show differently on the streamer display, one with artist name, the other without.

From what I have heard Minimserver should be better for streaming music than most, most likely also better than whatever is running on the WD NAS-drive already, which is the one it comes with as standard.

Question is: Can I install and use Minimserver on this NAS, and if yes, then how do I do it? It shouldn't be too complicated, as I'm really not very much into the technical stuff in all of this.

I hope that some of you can help me with this.

Regards,
Claus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2017, 10:57
RE: WD My Net N900 Central
I'm sorry to say that it would be complicated to run MinimServer on this NAS. Because the NAS has no facility to install third-party apps, you would need Linux expertise to install Java and MinimServer from a Linux terminal session. A better option would be to run MinimServer on another device that can access your NAS audio library over your network.
23-09-2017, 08:34
RE: WD My Net N900 Central
Thank you, not the answer I was hoping for but what I expected as the most likely.

I don't want to have another thing running as well, so I'll live with it for now, until It bothers me enough to spend a higher amount on a new and better NAS. Qnap hs251+ probably. The WD was a very cheap option that appeared, at less than 1/10 of the price of a Hs251

Claus