Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Album" Art - beyond albums
10-09-2017, 12:23 (This post was last modified: 10-09-2017 12:24 by drPo.)
"Album" Art - beyond albums
hi all, not sure if this topic resonates with others: I mostly rely on "genres" to search my music library. Unlike some other servers Minim does not provide "art" on "search categories" (for want of a better term...) other than Album itself (hence the title "album" art beyond albums). With 20 genres for example the search is much easier if you have a picture associated with them.

The same would go for artists etc... I would think that given the many advanced features of minimserver and given that it is provided by "competitors" that should't be so hard to implement.

The purpose of this thread would therefore be twofold: to elicit some technical feedback about the feasibility of implementing this feature and to allow fellow users to state whether this is a feature that is desirable by a "critical mass" of users.

thanks in advance

Greg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2017, 20:12
RE: "Album" Art - beyond albums
Which "competitors" provide art for genres?

Are the genre pictures used by these "competitors" selected randomly from album covers in the library or can the user provide a specific picture for each genre?

Would you want MinimServer to select genre pictures randomly from album covers in the library or would you want to provide a specific picture for each genre?
10-09-2017, 22:40
(10-09-2017 20:12)simoncn Wrote:  Which "competitors" provide art for genres?

Are the genre pictures used by these "competitors" selected randomly from album covers in the library or can the user provide a specific picture for each genre?

Would you want MinimServer to select genre pictures randomly from album covers in the library or would you want to provide a specific picture for each genre?

in Asset for example it is done based on the first available album within the genre. That works for me. The option to specify it would be even better.
11-09-2017, 10:47
Having trialed Asset prior to installing Minimserver, I'm not sure I'd describe it as a competitor. Big Grin
11-09-2017, 12:07 (This post was last modified: 11-09-2017 13:27 by paultaylor.)
Expanding image support beyond album artwork. e.g artists, composers, index , genres ectera is IMO the main thing MinimServer is currently missing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2017, 16:31 (This post was last modified: 11-09-2017 16:31 by Dieter Stockert.)
(11-09-2017 12:07)paultaylor Wrote:  Expanding image support beyond album artwork. e.g artists, composers, index , genres ectera is IMO the main thing MinimServer is currently missing.

I disagree. The main thing for me would be a user interface that allows changing simple and basic settings without having to study a manual. We are not in computer stone age any more.
12-09-2017, 12:49
(11-09-2017 16:31)Dieter Stockert Wrote:  I disagree. The main thing for me would be a user interface that allows changing simple and basic settings without having to study a manual. We are not in computer stone age any more.
That would be nice as well (but I can work round that)
12-09-2017, 16:49 (This post was last modified: 12-09-2017 18:20 by BlueDog.)
I'd much rather read a manual to allow me to tailor the software to my own needs, than to be restricted by a default set of checkboxes that the author deems necessary and no more.

Nine times out of ten, the developer has absolutely no clue what the end user wants (or needs) - I know this only too well as I also do this stuff for a living. It doesn't matter how many 'standard' options you put in, someone will always want something you haven't allowed for.

Minimserver is infinitely more configurable than other packages in its current form and this puts it at the top of the list as far as I'm concerned.
12-09-2017, 20:03
(12-09-2017 16:49)BlueDog Wrote:  I'd much rather read a manual to allow me to tailor the software to my own needs, than to be restricted by a default set of checkboxes that the author deems necessary and no more.
I think there is a middle way, for example field indexTags could still let you add any field name you like but it might be easier for some people if they could be added one by one instead of along comma seperated list, and there could be a drop down that includes common fields but doesnt limit to that.
12-09-2017, 20:26
(12-09-2017 20:03)paultaylor Wrote:  I think there is a middle way, for example field indexTags could still let you add any field name you like but it might be easier for some people if they could be added one by one instead of along comma seperated list, and there could be a drop down that includes common fields but doesnt limit to that.

That is a very reasonable suggestion and would certainly be a good compromise. At least it would preserve the ability to fully customise any options for those that want to.