Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom MinimServer Installation Not Starting
19-09-2017, 18:41
RE: Custom MinimServer Installation Not Starting
(19-09-2017 17:25)simoncn Wrote:  What is the smallest hardware configuration that I could use to run unRAID and test this? For example, would it run on a laptop with a single HDD?
There is no lower limit for unRAID. You can run it on you laptop with the one HDD just fine. Only thing is that you need to prepare a USB flash device as boot device. Here is a full description: CLICK
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2017, 19:04 (This post was last modified: 19-09-2017 20:21 by simoncn.)
I have read the documentation and it looked OK until I got to the part about assigning data, parity and cache disks. How can I do this with only one HDD?
19-09-2017, 21:16
(19-09-2017 19:04)simoncn Wrote:  I have read the documentation and it looked OK until I got to the part about assigning data, parity and cache disks. How can I do this with only one HDD?
Cache is optional and parity is important in case you need to rebuild a drive. Yes for a real server it only making sense with need min. 1 parity drive (2nd. parity drive is optional if 2 drives failing at the same time) and 2 data drives.

I have tested it ages ago: a Lenovo laptop with Intel Atom CPU and one HDD and it was booting just fine. This was back with unRAID 4.x so you might just test it: if you boot from the USB flash drive and if you are able to assign that one HDD you are good to go. The drive will be XFS formatted and you can start to enable the Docker system.

I can help you further if you have reached that stage.
21-09-2017, 20:25
I have installed unRAID with MinimServer and I have been able to find what is causing the problem.

unRAID is defining the loopback adapter with two different netmask values. Here is an extract from the output of 'ip addr':

Code:
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/32 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

The ohNet UPnP stack (used by MinimServer) can't handle this because it treats 127.0.0.1/32 and 127.0.0.1/8 as if they were separate adapters and tries to bind both of these "adapters" to different sockets listening on address 127.0.0.1 port 9791. The second of these bind attempts fails.

I don't know why unRAID is set up like this. The 127.0.0.1/8 combination is a superset of 127.0.0.1/32 and I can't see any reason why both would be needed. As a workaround, I have used the command:

ip addr del 127.0.0.1/32 dev lo

to delete the 127.0.0.1/32 address and this allows MinimServer to run.

I will contact the ohNet developers to discuss a possible code change to ohNet that would select the least specific netmask value in such cases and ignore all other values. It is likely to be a little while before this change is available in MinimServer, so I suggest using the above workaround as an interim solution for now.
22-09-2017, 19:57
This is great news and my Docker is starting now as well. It is soooo much faster than Minimierter on my Ubuntu VM (same music library and same properties).

Is your intention to come up with an unRAID Docker available via Community Applications? That would be awesome.
22-09-2017, 20:59
I wasn't able to figure out how to create an unRAID Docker container for MinimServer. The GUI interface for this seems to require a template from a repository. In the end I just started MinimServer from the root command line. How did you create your Docker container for MinimServer?

Adding an unRAID Docker for MinimServer in Community Applications would (I think) require me to provide a stable download link for MinimServer. At present there is no such link and users need to visit the MinimServer website to manually download the current version. This is an intentional choice on my part as it requires users to interact with the "License and donations" pop-up as part of the download process. Also, I am currently focusing on adding features to MinimServer rather than expanding the range of supported platforms.
23-09-2017, 00:51
Hi Simon and Frodo,

I've been out of town and have returned to find new information!

I was able to try building a docker image according to Simon's directions. However, I too ran into an issue in that the docker image appeared to have been created - but was not accessible due to the template system that unRAID uses.

Simon's explanation regarding unRAID defining the loopback adapter with two different netmask values may be something to address in the unRAID forum. I would be more than happy to do so as it would open the door for unRAID users to run MinimServer. An excellent (and inexpensive) way to store and serve terabytes of music.

I start MinimServer using unRAID's "GO" script. With Simon's command to remove the odd loopback adapter this may resolve the problem that I am experiencing with running MinimServer from the flash drive. I will try this out to see if this works and report back.

Thank you both!
23-09-2017, 01:13
Simon you are phenomenal!

My system was also using two loopback adapters, and as soon as I deleted 127.0.0.1/32 MinimServer 8.4 started and scanned my music collection. I also have full access using MinimWatch. This is fantastic to say the least. Your expertise and support are greatly appreciated.

I am going to see about scripting the deletion of the second loopback adapter and will definitely bring this up in the unRAID forum. I think this will definitely open new doors for users that want to try out MinimServer (many have the desire).
24-09-2017, 10:10
Jeeves, great to having you back. I made a feature request here at the unRAID forum: https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic...efinition/

I was adding these lines into the go file but Minimserver was not starting:
ip addr del 127.0.0.1/32 dev lo
docker run -p:1900:1900/udp -p:9790:9790 -p:9791:9791 --net=host minimserver:0.8.4.7

Reason is I had to (again) accept the license agreement and the properties were not persistent.

@Simon would it be acceptable if the user would interact with the "License and donations" items when they are installing Minimserver via Community Applications?
24-09-2017, 13:59
Issue is fixed with unRAID 6.4. Have a look at the link I posted above.