Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
copying my music library to new NAS
22-08-2017, 18:05
copying my music library to new NAS
How do I copy my music collection to new NAS. I recently bought a synology ds216+2 nas. Intel processor, Simon's install instructions easy, even for me. How do I copy my music from older synology 213 air (also running Minimserver? I will use older nas for music at cabin and backup
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2017, 15:38
RE: copying my music library to new NAS
Synology will have its own program for copying the contents of one NAS to the other, but I use Netgear and QNAP, so am unfamiliar with the Synology software suite.

As an alternative, if you have a Windows computer and both Synology Music folders are (or are within) Windows shares, you can use the venerable SyncToy to copy from one to the other. I keep my master Music folder (where I do all ripping, downloading and tagging) on my Windows PC, and then use SyncToy tasks to make chinese copies of the master folder on my two NAS boxes and my USB3 backup drive.

David
29-08-2017, 00:04 (This post was last modified: 29-08-2017 00:05 by antonmb.)
Depending on the size of your library, get a portable USB drive, connect it directly to the older Synology, copy the music library directly to the USB drive using File Station, then move the USB drive to the new Synology and copy onto the new box. This may be faster than a network copy. If you don't have a USB drive, you can buy a 4Tb portable drive for $100 these days, and then use it later as a backup drive for one of the Synologys.
15-09-2017, 21:55
thanks gents