Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running MinimServer on a plug computer
27-12-2012, 23:47
RE: Running MinimServer on a plug computer
(27-12-2012 21:33)bbrip Wrote:  Hi Simon,

I got Java and Minim installed on a Sheevaplug today. The installation as such is working fine. Only question: As I do not intend (for now) to add a disk directly to the Sheeva via USB, would it be possible to point he Plug Computer to a network drive that holds my music files? So far I failed doing this.

Many thanks
bbrip

I presume you would need to set this up by running NFS or Samba on the SheevaPlug, and you'd need to specify the correct network directory path in the MinimServer contentDir property. I haven't tried doing this myself.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-12-2012, 20:28
Just a little update on this I installed NFS support and mounted the ReadyNAS share containing my music to the SheevaPlug. It works! - well it didnt all go as smoothly and quickly the first sentence might imply but I got it running anyway Smile

Not surprisingly, the performance isn't the greatest on a sizable collection (7500 albums here) but I'd say that the Sheevaplug could be a perfect Server-solution for anyone holding no more than say a 1000 albums, in which case attaching a USB-drive might be the better solution than mapping a network drive if you can install Minim "natively" on that network drive, be it a NAS or a Computer.

bbrip
29-12-2012, 21:28
(29-12-2012 20:28)bbrip Wrote:  Just a little update on this I installed NFS support and mounted the ReadyNAS share containing my music to the SheevaPlug. It works! - well it didnt all go as smoothly and quickly the first sentence might imply but I got it running anyway Smile

Not surprisingly, the performance isn't the greatest on a sizable collection (7500 albums here) but I'd say that the Sheevaplug could be a perfect Server-solution for anyone holding no more than say a 1000 albums, in which case attaching a USB-drive might be the better solution than mapping a network drive if you can install Minim "natively" on that network drive, be it a NAS or a Computer.

bbrip

I'm glad to hear this works. For best performance, the ideal setup is to run MinimServer on the same computer/NAS that holds your music, if possible.

This means that MinimServer needs to support ReadyNAS, and I'm hoping to have some good news about this soon.