Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WD PIDRIVE NODE ZERO
23-07-2017, 15:56
WD PIDRIVE NODE ZERO
Would it be possible to install Minimserver on a WD PIDRIVE NODE ZERO for use as a headless music server? I have a couple MooOde clients, I am looking to separate my music from video.

Perhaps a better question is if Minimserver will run on a PI zero?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2017, 16:02
RE: WD PIDRIVE NODE ZERO
I haven't tried MinimServer with a Pi zero but I don't see any reason why the instructions on this page wouldn't work.
23-07-2017, 16:17
(23-07-2017 16:02)simoncn Wrote:  I haven't tried MinimServer with a Pi zero but I don't see any reason why the instructions on this page wouldn't work.

I'll give it a try with a usb thumb drive and post the results here. I really really like Minimserver; especially its tag navigation.
23-07-2017, 20:19
I'm not much of a linux guy; but its up and running atop jesse lite. Thanks to searching the web i stumbled through installing from the command line.
23-07-2017, 23:44
It worked with a 4g usb thumb drive; but started choking on my 10000 track collection on a powered usb sata enclosure. Pointed Bubbleup at my windows minimserver and all is good. Thus eliminating a control point or renderer issue.

I learned enough today, maybe I'll try linux on one of my old intel boxes. I really want a stand alone music server, I don't like running minimserver and plex together on the same machine. Especially when the rest of the family is in "movie mode" and I'm listening to music.
24-07-2017, 09:14
(23-07-2017 23:44)astropuppy Wrote:  I really want a stand alone music server,

Although there's a cost, there's really no better option than a decent (say QNAP or Synology) NAS for this application. I leave my two NAS boxes alone for weeks on end and they both 'just work' with MinimServer. You don't need anything fancy by way of a NAS; if you keep a proper backup (as you should anyway), a single drive model will be fine, with capacity dependant on the size of your music collection. The commonest recommendation for drives to fit to a NAS is the WD Red series.

David
24-07-2017, 09:39
I'm not sure what you mean by "choking". Can you provide a bit more information?
24-07-2017, 13:59
(24-07-2017 09:39)simoncn Wrote:  I'm not sure what you mean by "choking". Can you provide a bit more information?

The PI Zero only has one usb port through which I was running both Ethernet and a usb drive connections. My guess is that latency of the (old) hard drive was causing the data flow to stop and the little cpu could never catch up.

It doesn't matter anymore, I bought used Synology NAS last night. It will be used for music (Minimserver) and (non-confidential) family document storage. Things like owners manuals etc.

And yes, I have a very good backup plan, which involves an iosafe and a bank safe deposit box. If our family photos and videos where ever destroyed my wife would literally shoot me.
27-07-2017, 04:39
Setup my new - to me - synology single disk nas tonight. It just works great, no fuss, no muss. MoOde, Bubbleup and Minimserver are the match for me. Thanks for the excellent advice.
27-07-2017, 12:14
(27-07-2017 04:39)astropuppy Wrote:  Setup my new - to me - synology single disk nas tonight. It just works great, no fuss, no muss. MoOde, Bubbleup and Minimserver are the match for me. Thanks for the excellent advice.

That's good news. I hope your Synology serves you as well as my old Netgear NAS has served me. Sadly, though their hardware is excellent, Netgear have really messed up with their software, by chopping and changing without notice. Simon decided (quite understandably) not to offer support for the newer Netgear models, so the NAS I bought more recently is a single bay QNAP, which, like you, I was able to set up in no time.

David