Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BBC R3 Lossless Stream
07-08-2017, 19:08 (This post was last modified: 07-08-2017 19:11 by DavidHB.)
RE: BBC R3 Lossless Stream
Congratulations to Cebolla for a really thorough test of the binaural stream, with good results.

For owners of Linn DS and DSM devices, I can report similarly good news. The latest beta release of the Davaar firmware (4.58.181) fixes the problem where transcoded WAV streams would only play for a maximum of 2GB (just over two hours in WAV24). Streams now play to the maximum of 4GB. For information, the stream.transcode property I am using is

flac:wav24-0gb, mp3:wav24-0gb, aac:wav24-0gb

Otherwise, MinimServer is set up as per Simon's instructions in post #12 of this thread. For those who haven't tried it, the sound quality of the [R3DASH] stream transcoded to WAV24 is very definitely worth a listen.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2017, 13:27 (This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 17:03 by simoncn.)
Version 0.7.1 of the protoype is now available for testing. If you are using an earlier version of the prototype, please update to 0.7.1 by doing the following:

1) In the Packages tab of the Properties window, type the following in the 'Other package' field: minimstreamer-0.7.1

2) Click Install and follow the prompts to install the package

3) When installation is complete, click Relaunch

If you haven't yet installed the prototype, see the full installation instructions in post 12.

This version adds support for the MPEG-DASH AAC 320k experimental binaural stream and the MPEG-DASH AAC 320k standard Radio 3 stream. These are repackaged by MinimStreamer as AAC/ADTS, so transcoding isn't required to make the stream playable but can be used if desired.

Here is a .m3u playlist that is suitable for testing all the streams:
Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,[R3DASH;aac] BBC Radio 3 DASH
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/dash/uk/dash_full/llnw/bbc_radio_three.mpd
#EXTINF:-1,[R3FLAC;flac] BBC Radio 3 FLAC
http://vs-dash-ww-rd-live.bbcfmt.hs.llnwd.net/al/lossless/client_manifest.mpd
#EXTINF:-1,[R3BIN;aac] BBC Radio 3 binaural
http://vs-dash-ww-rd-live.bbcfmt.hs.llnwd.net/al/proms/client_manifest.mpd
11-08-2017, 14:55
Thank you so much, once again, Simon. All installed and working here.

I haven't been able to test the R3BIN stream yet, but my first impression is that R3DASH sounds a little clearer and fuller than the standard AAC stream, while the R3FLAC stream is noticeably better and fuller than the R3DASH stream; all three are transcoded to WAV24 in my system.

David
11-08-2017, 17:18 (This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 17:20 by simoncn.)
I am inclined to agree about R3DASH sounding a bit better than the HLS stream (not sure which is considered "standard" by the BBC now). I suppose it is possible that the BBC is using a different AAC codec for the MPEG-DASH stream.

An interesting benefit of using the R3DASH stream is that the stream can be paused for up to 3 hours. I don't know what the pause limit is for the HLS stream. For the FLAC stream, it is 10 minutes.
13-08-2017, 17:27
Thank you. Working perfectly on Synology NAS to Naim NDS
16-08-2017, 12:09
(11-08-2017 17:18)simoncn Wrote:  I am inclined to agree about R3DASH sounding a bit better than the HLS stream (not sure which is considered "standard" by the BBC now). I suppose it is possible that the BBC is using a different AAC codec for the MPEG-DASH stream.

An interesting benefit of using the R3DASH stream is that the stream can be paused for up to 3 hours. I don't know what the pause limit is for the HLS stream. For the FLAC stream, it is 10 minutes.

Simon,

I have installed the new version - many thanks once again. I processed some other updates yesterday and that seemed to stop things from working but I found the post re the .1 version and everything is back now - excellent.

I assume this will at some point be rolled into the official release but is that the case? Or is this simply to be available as a prototype feature.
16-08-2017, 18:58
I am expecting to put this in an official release at some point. It is a significant change and I would like to give it a bit more time for user testing.
17-08-2017, 00:27
(16-08-2017 18:58)simoncn Wrote:  I am expecting to put this in an official release at some point. It is a significant change and I would like to give it a bit more time for user testing.

OK - many thanks
17-08-2017, 10:42
Once I worked out how to create the radio playlist on the Synology, the rest was incredibly easy. I ran comparisons from last night's transmissions between my NAT01 (FM) and NDX>Dave (FLAC stream) and had a hard time telling any difference. Something I found hard to credit to be honest.

Let's hope it takes off. In the meantime kudos to Simon - really appreciated. Gives me hope for after the FM switch-off, which I'd been dreading.
22-08-2017, 11:33
I saw this thread a few days ago so decided to try and get it to work. I'm documenting my experience in case in might help others.
My setup is MinimServer/Streamer running on a Synology NAS, MinimWatch on Windows 10 and a Cambridge Audio SteamMagic 6 as the renderer. I use either the SM6 front panel or the Android Cambridge Connect app as the control point. The SM6 will play the BBC Shoutcast streams (until the BBC turn them off) but not the AudioFactory streams so I can't use that as the renderer.

I updated my MinimStreamer to version 0.7.1 and added the R3DASH url to my existing m3u file of HLS urls. As I couldn't play anything at this stage, I tried recording - by setting the stream.options value to R3DASH. I could see a file being written in the minimserver/appData/rec folder on the NAS with a file type of FLAC. This would play in VLC but wasn't recognised in my editing software. I'd come across this issue before when recording the HLS stream which is written as an aac file, i.e. raw audio not encapsulated in an m4a container. Likewise, the raw FLAC file doesn't contain any metadata but in both cases this is easily remedied with ffmpeg (I do this my Windows laptop as it's much quicker than on the NAS). E.g. ffmpeg -i R3DASH-20170818-193000.flac 'Mahler 2.xxx' - the xxx could be 'flac', 'wav' etc. I convert to wav, edit the file into 'tracks' (e.g. movements), convert back to flac and then use mp3tag to add the metadata for minim server. Finally, I copied the curated files to a new folder on my NAS, I was able to listen to the recording via my SM6. The sound was definitely an improvement on aac recordings.

So far so good. My next problem was to how to listen to the live stream. On the forum, there was a mention of the BubbleUPnP Android app (which I already had on my phone) and Google Chromecast Audio (which was in its box). I connected the optical SPDIF output of the CCA to the SM6 (to use it's DAC rather than the CCA’s DAC) and verified I could play music on the NAS from MinimServer (in the BubbleUPnP setup, I changed the 'renderer' from Stream Magic to Chromecast, leaving the 'library' at MinimServer). To play the live DASH stream, in the library view, I had to select 'Playlist' and then 'BBC Radio' to see the list of stations from the m3u file. Selecting the R3DASH entry started playing the live FLAC stream. As others have found, this was rock solid all during the day with sound audibly better than the live (Shoutcast) AAC stream I can get on the SM6. The HLS AAC streams in the playlist however wouldn't play, giving me an error message - media not supported by Chromecast. Further research suggested I needed BubbleUPnP Server to be installed - which I did on the NAS. After that, all the stations in the playlists worked.

Many thanks to all the forum contributors who posted help and suggestions and especially Simon for his brilliant work with the Minim software.

JohnT