Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upsampling MQA files to original resolution with sox
14-05-2020, 15:04 (This post was last modified: 14-05-2020 15:05 by Alandbush.)
RE: Upsampling MQA files to original resolution with sox
(14-05-2020 12:56)Cebolla Wrote:  Isn't this upsampling with minimum phase steep filter just a substitute for the final MQA rendering step, which produces the 'further unfolds'?

So, there appears to be nothing here that takes care of the initial step, ie, the actual MQA decoding of the MQA source file track to produce the MQA Core signal (aka 'first unfold').

If that has already been taken into account, how do you get the MQA Core signal/first unfold into MinimServer in the first place?

Precisely my initial thought, so I revisited the original ComputerAudiophile thread (refer to the OPs first post). Unless I have completely misread that threads' opening post, there is no mention of unfolding. In fact, I think there is a specific reference to using the original MQA file as input to Sox which I've inferred as meaning no unfold necessary.

Fortunately, I'm not bothered either way. My age old ears cannot differentiate such subtleties. Sad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2020, 15:52
(14-05-2020 13:31)granosalis Wrote:  Yes, I confirm. It is also visible on the screenshoot I have attached in some post before. I'll check it again, by the way. Thanks.

As well as checking that the file has the execute bit set, MinimStreamer performs a test execution of the specified file to verify that it is a working version of ffmpeg. It looks like this script is failing on the test execution.

The code in the script looks fairly complex and I am not able to suggest a simple fix to make it work.
14-05-2020, 16:19
I think we have to wait for an open source library that do the first unfold.
Thanks Cebolla, Simon, AlandBush, I appreciate your support.
14-05-2020, 17:32
First unfold is a proprietary sw/routine and MQA consortium receive royalties to use it, I find it utopian to expect it to appear in an open source distribution. Maybe an “emulator” could be more realistic
17-05-2020, 19:34
(13-05-2020 12:29)simoncn Wrote:  Support for wav32 transcoding is on my to-do list and it should be available fairly soon in MinimStreamer 2.

Great news, looking forward to it, thanks Simon!

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk1 (MinimServer 2) --> network --> AURALiC ARIES G2 --> Lightning Link (WWPS7 hdmi) --> AURALiC VEGA G2 with AURALiC LEO GX Master Clock --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 523 --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7