Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guess Tags
27-06-2017, 04:40
RE: Guess Tags
To clarify my comment about server and renderer, I meant this from a UPnP perspective. In my view, the servers that you mentioned are incorporating renderer-like functionality. There is nothing wrong with this but it is beyond the scope of what MinimServer has been designed to do.

The approach I would suggest for including this in a UPnP setup is to have a UPnP renderer "wrapper" (running on a high-powered device) that provides the audio processing capability that you have described and sends the resulting output across the network to a low-power renderer feeding the DAC. There is no need for a high-power device to provide UPnP server capability without audio processing and this is why I don't think audio processing should be required to take place on the same machine as the UPnP server. if the UPnP server machine happens to have enough power to do audio processing, the UPnP renderer wrapper could run on this machine in a different process than the UPnP server.

Perhaps there could be a future version of MinimStreamer that is architected as a UPnP renderer wrapper rather than a MinimServer component. I don't have any plans to do this but it is an interesting thought.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2017, 06:25
RE: Guess Tags
(27-06-2017 04:40)simoncn Wrote:  To clarify my comment about server and renderer, I meant this from a UPnP perspective. In my view, the servers that you mentioned are incorporating renderer-like functionality. There is nothing wrong with this but it is beyond the scope of what MinimServer has been designed to do.

The approach I would suggest for including this in a UPnP setup is to have a UPnP renderer "wrapper" (running on a high-powered device) that provides the audio processing capability that you have described and sends the resulting output across the network to a low-power renderer feeding the DAC. There is no need for a high-power device to provide UPnP server capability without audio processing and this is why I don't think audio processing should be required to take place on the same machine as the UPnP server. if the UPnP server machine happens to have enough power to do audio processing, the UPnP renderer wrapper could run on this machine in a different process than the UPnP server.

Perhaps there could be a future version of MinimStreamer that is architected as a UPnP renderer wrapper rather than a MinimServer component. I don't have any plans to do this but it is an interesting thought.

I did find a program called mp3fs that used the FUSE filesystem to transcode between audio formats (flac to mp3). I couldn't find anything that allowed external programs to upsample. I also think there is an old mac program that transcoded flac to wav using FUSE, but doesn't work with the never versions of OSX.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply