Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mimimwatch just won't start
17-07-2017, 10:01 (This post was last modified: 17-07-2017 10:03 by chrisbridgeave1.)
RE: Mimimwatch just won't start
(16-07-2017 21:26)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-07-2017 16:47)chrisbridgeave1 Wrote:  OK Thanks - so I have confirmed that by running javaw -jar mwatch.jar at command prompt - Hurray Minimserver launches

How do I "fix" this permanently? Jarfix doesn't seem to and I have "Java™ Platform SE Binary" as the default app for .JAR files

It is not the default app that is wrong. The problem is the Description column in the list of filetype associations. For .jar, this column should say Executable Jar File. If it says something else (such as JAR file), you will get the problem you are seeing.

I have never seen this problem myself although it has been reported by other users. If you uninstall Java, what do you see in the Description and Current Default columns for the .jar file association?

Current settings do indeed say ".jar File" associated with Java

On uninstalling Java the list shows .java and .jav with the option to "choose a default" but no mention of .jar files at all

Re-installing Java Runtime Environment JRE directly from the Oracle site .jar file type is added to the default list and whilst the the default "open with" was not populated automatically, on selecting that Java is offered as an option - having selected that manually all seems well

Thank you one and all
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2017, 13:51
RE: Mimimwatch just won't start
Thanks for this. It is useful information that should help other users with the same problem.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply