Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DS216 fails to stream DSD music to my network player
11-06-2017, 22:22
RE: DS216 fails to stream DSD music to my network player
(11-06-2017 01:34)kensklo Wrote:  Thank you Simon for your help. I suppose I have no choice but to stick to Twonky then.

Please do the following to help me debug the exact cause of the problem.

1) Disable MinimStreamer dopwav transcoding if it is enabled
2) From the minim icon, select Restart
3) From the minim icon, select 'Show log'
4) In the log window, set the logging level to Trace
5) In the log window, click Clear
6) Leave the log window open
7) Try to play one of your DSD files. This should give you the illegal MIME type message in BubbleUPnP
8) In the log window, click 'Save as' to save a log file
9) In the log window, set the logging level back to Info
10) Zip the log file that you saved in step 8 (this step is important)
11) Attach the zipped log file to a post here

I will take a look at the log file and let you know what I find. Many thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2017, 13:11
Hi Simon, I'm sorry to reply this late. I was super busy with my heavy travel schedule in the past month, and only got the time to work this out now...

Here's the zipped log file, and I look forward to hearing back from you soon. Many thanks!

Attached File(s)
.zip  Incorrect MIME type log.zip (Size: 1.88 KB / Downloads: 6)
19-07-2017, 14:22
Simon, I'd really appreciate if you can let me know whether the problem I'm having with not being able to play DSD music over MinimServer can be solved. I still prefer your UI over Twonky's but right now I just can't get it working with DSD files. Look forward to hearing from you soon.
19-07-2017, 14:46
Thanks for the log. It confirms that the problem is caused by an incompatibility between the MIME type that MinimServer is sending for DSD files and the MIME type that the renderer is expecting.

How did you install Twonky on your DS216? I don't see this listed in the Synology Package Center. I would like to try some DSD files with Twonky to see what MIME type it is sending.
19-07-2017, 14:59 (This post was last modified: 19-07-2017 15:01 by kensklo.)
Honestly I don't quite remember anymore. But it's definitely working now. I emailed the streamer manufacturer when Minimserver failed and he told me to install Twonky, and I simply followed instructions found from the web.

Is there anything specific you would like me to look up?
19-07-2017, 17:32
Could you check which version of Twonky you are using?
22-07-2017, 00:30
(19-07-2017 17:32)simoncn Wrote:  Could you check which version of Twonky you are using?

It is version 8.4-2. Thank you!
24-07-2017, 06:41
Hi.

I have been doing some testing with uPNP servers using Minim, Synologies built in one, Twonky and a few others.

I have a packet trace from Twonky if it helps you. It actually shows the mimetype to be audio/dsd

My Oppo doesnt like this one bit as its configured to look for audio/x-dsf or audio/x-dff. Someone needs there minds read for setting up bad uPNP servers and dud mime types aye. My Pioneer LX77 go figure, looks for audio/dsd and audio/x-dsd. Sad

I think it would realllly help in the design of the Minim server is an ability to have a xml or ini file that one can place MAC addresses for example in that once identified you could change the mime type presented. Much like a profile. There are so many bad renderers out there.

This was from Twonky 8.4.2

Hopefully the below helps.

Cheers
http-get:*:audio/dsd:*&quot; bitrate=&quot;706626&quot; size=&quot;153338101&quot; duration=&quot;00:03:37&quot;&gt;http://x.x.x.x:9000/disk/NON-DLNA-OP01-FLAGS01700000/O0$1$8I905227.dsf&lt;/res&gt;&lt;upnp:class&gt;object.item.audioItem.musicTrack&lt;/upnp:class&gt;&lt;pv:supported&gt;true&lt;/pv:supported&gt;&lt;pv:pushSource&gt;192.168.60.218&lt;/pv:pushSource&gt;&lt;/item&gt;&lt;/DIDL-Lite&gt;</CurrentURIMetaData></u:SetAVTransportURI></s:Body></s:Envelope>

Attached File(s)
.txt  Twonkycapture.txt (Size: 4.26 KB / Downloads: 5)
24-07-2017, 09:55
Thanks for this information.

It is very unfortunate that there is no accepted standard for the "correct" MIME types for DSD files in DFF and DSF formats.

The design of UPnP makes it simple for the renderer to cope with multiple alternative MIME type names for the same stream but very difficult for the server to handle this in a way that is simple and transparent for the user.

Placing MAC addresses in an XML or ini file might be possible for computer experts (although it isn't easy for the server to find the MAC address of the renderer) but this wouldn't be a viable solution for the great majority of MinimServer users.

For many renderers, using MinimStreamer to transcode to DoP/WAV format is a solution for this problem.
25-07-2017, 03:46
I am sorry but in my case, apart from trying to set the mimetype as audio/dsd, there is really nothing else I can do, correct? I remember I had tried to transcode my DSD to DoP/WAV but that as I recall did not work either.