Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DS216 fails to stream DSD music to my network player
08-06-2017, 16:22
DS216 fails to stream DSD music to my network player
I am a total newbie with NAS so please bear with my trivial question below.

I have recently setup my first ever NAS, a Synology DS216, with the purpose to stream my stored music via an Ethernet cable to my network player which plays both DSD (native as well as DoP) and PCM files. The network player I'm using is a Japanese brand called Sforzato.

First I have checked the Synology website and confirmed that DS216 does indeed support DSD files. I then setup MinimServer with MinimStreamer and directed the server to my music folder. When I tried to play my music through BubbleUPnP, I was only able to play the PCM (AIFF, FLAC, etc.) files. All DSD (DSF and DFF) files were rejected with an error message stating "illegal MIME type". I want to play native DSD, by the way, and not DoP if possible.

On the MinimWatch log I noticed that it stated "Warning: Truncating incorrect value for DATE tag...", which I searched on the web and subsequently corrected the date tag problem, so now no more warning messages are found on the MinimWatch log. Unfortunately the illegal MIME error message continues to appear whenever I try to play my DSD songs, and so up to now I still fail to play my DSD music.

I am not sure whether this is a MinimServer issue or some setup problem with my DS216. Would someone please enlighten me?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2017, 05:26
RE: DS216 fails to stream DSD music to my network player
This message from BubbleUPnP means that the Sforzato renderer is not advertising support for the native DSD MIME types used by MinimServer (audio/x-dsf and audio/x-dff). To solve this problem, you can set the BubbleUPnP option to disable MIME type checking.
09-06-2017, 15:43
Thanks Simon for your comments. I have unchecked the MIME type checking on BubbleUPnP, but unfortunately with Minimserver I still cannot play the DSD songs. The same message "illegal MIME type" still pops up. On the other hand, once I switched over to the Twonky server, I am now able to play my DSD songs. Presumably I suppose there must be something wrong with my Minimserver setting.
09-06-2017, 15:59
Is the "illegal MIME type" message coming from BubbleUPnP or from your music player? If it is coming from your music player, it means that the music player can't handle native DSD streams from MinimServer. The fix for this is to use DoP/WAV transcoding in MinimStreamer.
09-06-2017, 17:29
(09-06-2017 15:59)simoncn Wrote:  Is the "illegal MIME type" message coming from BubbleUPnP or from your music player? If it is coming from your music player, it means that the music player can't handle native DSD streams from MinimServer. The fix for this is to use DoP/WAV transcoding in MinimStreamer.

No, the message is definitely coming from BubbleUPnP. As stated, with Twonky server I am able to play the native DSD music files but once I switched back to Miminserver and using the same app the music can no longer be played while the error message pops up on my tablet.
09-06-2017, 17:57 (This post was last modified: 09-06-2017 17:58 by simoncn.)
It is possible that Twonky is using a different MIME type for native DSD and the player is able to handle the Twonky MIME type but not the MinimServer MIME type.

If you are sure that you have BubbleUPnP MIME type checking disabled (please check this again), the message about illegal MIME type might be originating from the player even though it is displayed by BubbleUPnP.

In either case, you can solve the problem by enabling DoP/WAV transcoding in MinimStreamer. The DoP stream contains exactly the same DSD audio data as the native stream, so there is no difference in sound quality.
10-06-2017, 11:00 (This post was last modified: 10-06-2017 11:01 by bubbleguuum.)
"Illegal Mime-type" is a standard error for SetAVTransportURI (code 714 or 716 I do not remember), thus returned by the renderer and displayed by BubbleUPnP. Basically, it doesn't like the mime-type which can be due to either not supporting DSD (likely if it does no advertises it and 'mime-type check' was disabled in BubbleUPnP to force send the stream), or it supports it but BubbleUPnP (SetAVTransportURI) or the media server (http headers for the stream) does not set the exact mime-type the renderer expects. Mime-types are evil, although in that case I bet this renderer does not support DSD via UPnP.
10-06-2017, 11:50
Just an update...

I have double checked and made sure that BubbleUPnP has MIME type checking disabled. However, contrary to the success I am having while using the Twonky server, my renderer still refuses to read my DSD files once I switch over to Minimserver. So for the record, my network player does read DSD files with no problem and it plays both DSF and DFF from the Twonky server. I then proceeded to transcode the DSD files into DoP (wav) and tried again to play on my streamer. This time both the renderer and my tablet indicate that the song (wav file) is being played, but unfortunately nothing is coming out from the speakers.

I have also installed the Lumin app, and the same thing happen in both cases, i.e. both DSD and DoP files from Minimserver doesn't work but DSD files work flawlessly from the Twonky server.
10-06-2017, 16:15
It sounds like your renderer doesn't support DoP streams and doesn't accept DSD streams unless the MIME type matches what Twonky is sending.
11-06-2017, 01:34
Thank you Simon for your help. I suppose I have no choice but to stick to Twonky then.