Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handling CD, SACD-Stereo and SACD-Multi versions of same recording
31-05-2017, 13:52 (This post was last modified: 31-05-2017 13:56 by haggis999.)
Handling CD, SACD-Stereo and SACD-Multi versions of same recording
I have only just found out how to rip my SACDs using my Oppo BDP-105, but this has highlighted an issue with my current MinimServer configuration.

Some of my classical recordings are now stored in my NAS in three different versions, i.e. CD, SACD-Stereo and SACD-Multichannel. All the normal metadata is identical, which results in my MinimServer listings for such albums showing three indistinguishable versions of every track.

I need to be able to select each version separately, so I have just created a custom metadata tag called DiscType, whose permitted values are CD, SS or SM. How do I reconfigure my MinimServer settings to take account of DiscType?

The attachment shows my current configuration settings.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2017, 15:12 (This post was last modified: 31-05-2017 15:27 by BlueDog.)
RE: Handling CD, SACD-Stereo and SACD-Multi versions of same recording
Set mergeFolderAlbums to False.

I have Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn and Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn (SACD) folders on my NAS and both sets of tracks have identical metadata - Minimserver shows them as two seperate albums without any additional tagging.
31-05-2017, 15:34 (This post was last modified: 31-05-2017 18:14 by haggis999.)
(31-05-2017 15:12)BlueDog Wrote:  Set mergeFolderAlbums to False.
Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't really help; It just changes the nature of the problem. Each album now appears multiple times, with no way of distinguishing between their DiscType settings.

I group on a custom tag called Work, so an album containing two works now appears six times (three DiscType settings per work) but you can't tell in advance which option will give you which work and it's only when you start playing a track that you find out (on my Naim app) which DiscType setting applies.

When I revert back to mergeFolderAlbums= True, I get one album appearing after selecting Genre, Sub-Genre and Composer. When I click on that album, it splits into two items labelled with the names of those two works. When I then select one of the works, I get each track displayed in three versions. What I think I want at this stage is to be offered the choice of as many DiscType settings as are available. Such a solution is not perfect, however, as the vast majority of my music is only available in one DiscType format, i.e. CD, and I would prefer to avoid being forced to make a choice of CD when no other options are present.
31-05-2017, 15:51 (This post was last modified: 31-05-2017 15:55 by BlueDog.)
Ah, I think there were some special tags within Minimserver for audio quality that you could append to the displayed album name on the fly.

I'll be damned if I can find the relevant post now, though...

Edit: Here you go, see if this helps.

http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthr...udioFormat
31-05-2017, 16:00
(31-05-2017 15:51)BlueDog Wrote:  Ah, I think there were some special tags within Minimserver for audio quality that you could append to the displayed album name on the fly.

I'll be damned if I can find the relevant post now, though...

Edit: Here you go, see if this helps.

http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthr...udioFormat
Thanks for that suggestion. It looks promising, though with four pages of detailed discussion, it might take me a while to grasp the concept!
31-05-2017, 16:03
Good bedtime reading! Big Grin

With any luck, somebody else will be along soon that's already done the hard work. Confused
31-05-2017, 21:49
If you set mergeFolderAlbums to false, you can append the DiscType value to the album name by adding the following to tagFormat:

Album.displayFormat={$album^$disctype^ [^]}
31-05-2017, 22:36 (This post was last modified: 31-05-2017 22:44 by haggis999.)
(31-05-2017 21:49)simoncn Wrote:  If you set mergeFolderAlbums to false, you can append the DiscType value to the album name by adding the following to tagFormat:

Album.displayFormat={$album^$disctype^ [^]}
I had already tried that, but unfortunately it has had no effect. My Album tag display still does not have a DiscType suffix.
31-05-2017, 23:05
Forget my last post. I had overlooked the fact that the default setting when creating a custom tag in JRiver Media Center is not to store the tag in the file!

The DiscType is now appended to the Album display. Early indications are that it resolves my original problem, but I will have to play around with it a little more to be quite certain. Thanks to both of you for your help.
31-05-2017, 23:28 (This post was last modified: 31-05-2017 23:51 by haggis999.)
I've already found a serious issue with this solution. With my previous setting of mergeFolderAlbums= True, each album would initially appear as a single item. Selecting that album would then display a top-level listing of ALL the works within that album (limited to a given composer if I had already specified a composer). Some of those works might just have one track. Other works, such as symphonies, would have multiple tracks. This was a simple and straightforward interface.

After changing to mergeFolderAlbums= False, I get two instances for many of my albums, or a lot more instances when there are multiple DiskType versions. Sometimes, one instance contains all the single-track works, the other instance contains all the multi-track works. On other occasions, each instance covers a different multi-track work (but you don't know which work until you select them). The clarity of the previous interface is thus lost and finding works is now a matter of trial and error. Is this undesirable behaviour unavoidable if I want to group by DiscType?