Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kinsky/Minimserver stop
03-05-2017, 11:32
Kinsky/Minimserver stop
I am using my Pi running MinimServer as a headless audio player.

I have tried several Control Points and prefer the Kinsky interface

However, if I leave it running, I find that it stops playing - I have the same problem on two Pis so I am guessing the fault is not there

I am able sometimes to get it going by opening up Kinsky (on my PC) and selecting something new to play but occasionally I have to restart the Pi by cutting the current - sudo reboot has no effect strangely

This is a quick process as I have set startupscan to false. I read elsewhere that people have been running Pis non-stop for months at a time
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2017, 20:22
RE: Kinsky/Minimserver stop
What UPnP renderer are you using to play music?

From the power off and on aspect of this, it sounds like the problem might be caused by a network issue. Please describe your network setup in as much detail as possible.
03-05-2017, 21:37
(03-05-2017 20:22)simoncn Wrote:  What UPnP renderer are you using to play music?

From the power off and on aspect of this, it sounds like the problem might be caused by a network issue. Please describe your network setup in as much detail as possible.

I use upmpdcli if this is what you mean

The "layers" I install are alsa, mpd, upmpdcli and mpc

I run a windows (win 10) network using SAMBA on the Pi which I use to create a shared folder with the media disc on a network PC on one Pi and a usb directly connected Toshiba hdd on the other.

As I said, I use Kinsky to control both Pis which works fine but on both I get the same problem. For example, earlier this evening Kinsky stopped working, so I tried to ssh the Pi to see via mpc what was going on; I could not ssh the pi. Kinsky did not respond when I tried to select another title on my playlist and in the end, all I could do was pull the plug and restart
04-05-2017, 09:02
If you cannot ssh the Pi, it is definitely a network problem.

I am not sure how your PC is connected to the Pi (wired, wireless, switch, router, Ethernet cable, powerline, etc.) The best way to debug a problem like this is to remove or substitute these network components until you find which of them is faulty.
04-05-2017, 11:10
(04-05-2017 09:02)simoncn Wrote:  If you cannot ssh the Pi, it is definitely a network problem.

I am not sure how your PC is connected to the Pi (wired, wireless, switch, router, Ethernet cable, powerline, etc.) The best way to debug a problem like this is to remove or substitute these network components until you find which of them is faulty.

The Pi is connected to an adsl router using a usb wifi dongle from Edimax. I have tried previously to remove and replace the dongle to see if that would spark it back into life but without success. I have several other devices connected wirelessly to the same router and have never experienced any outage. Both Pis are connected the same way and both have the same problem
04-05-2017, 22:01
It sounds like the Edimax dongle is the cause of the problem. Did you use the same dongle with both Pis or different dongles?
08-05-2017, 14:10
(04-05-2017 22:01)simoncn Wrote:  It sounds like the Edimax dongle is the cause of the problem. Did you use the same dongle with both Pis or different dongles?

I used different ones; theEdimax and one from sb components that I think came with the Pi start up kit
08-05-2017, 14:35
(08-05-2017 14:10)Alan Robinson Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 22:01)simoncn Wrote:  It sounds like the Edimax dongle is the cause of the problem. Did you use the same dongle with both Pis or different dongles?

I used different ones; theEdimax and one from sb components that I think came with the Pi start up kit

I have just got back from being away for 5 days. Switched on my PC laptop, opened Kinsky, selected an album and... it works fine. Whatever is going on is complicated?
08-05-2017, 15:22 (This post was last modified: 08-05-2017 15:23 by simoncn.)
There could be many reasons for this. For example, if the problem starts again after a few hours when everything has warmed up, it might be related to heat affecting some electronic component.
08-05-2017, 16:58
(08-05-2017 15:22)simoncn Wrote:  There could be many reasons for this. For example, if the problem starts again after a few hours when everything has warmed up, it might be related to heat affecting some electronic component.

I'll have a go using ethernet cable to see if it could be the dongle. It must be something in the Pi or its network setup as have no problems with othe wifi devices.