Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CD singles tagging
02-05-2017, 08:13
CD singles tagging
Hi

I still have a collection of CD singles that I'm about to digitize to FLAC. Anyone have any tagging advice? How have other people done this? I am unaware of any tags to identify CD singles from CD albums so any software will just see them as albums I guess?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2017, 08:41
RE: CD singles tagging
You can omit the ALBUM tag if there is no album. In this case, the songs will have their other tags indexed as usual and they will appear under [no album] in the "n albums" list.
02-05-2017, 09:33
When you say 'CD Single', do you mean a single track or a release containing just 1 or 2 tracks ?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2017, 12:39
(02-05-2017 09:33)paultaylor Wrote:  When you say 'CD Single', do you mean a single track or a release containing just 1 or 2 tracks ?

The CD equivalent of the oldfashioned vinyl single records (7 inch with large hole in middle; one track on each side; playing at 45rpm.) For the initiated, the CD equivalent contained 3-4 songs typically (usually the original, a b-side and some mix of the original).
02-05-2017, 13:01
(02-05-2017 12:39)Pepsican Wrote:  The CD equivalent of the oldfashioned vinyl single records (7 inch with large hole in middle; one track on each side; playing at 45rpm.) For the initiated, the CD equivalent contained 3-4 songs typically (usually the original, a b-side and some mix of the original).

This sounds like a small album to me.
02-05-2017, 14:17 (This post was last modified: 02-05-2017 14:45 by BlueDog.)
I ripped mine a while ago and just tagged them the same as I do for an album using the single title as the 'album name', I figured they were essentially an EP. Smile

Link for those of you too young to know what an EP is ... Big Grin
02-05-2017, 21:35 (This post was last modified: 02-05-2017 22:00 by paultaylor.)
(02-05-2017 12:39)Pepsican Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 09:33)paultaylor Wrote:  When you say 'CD Single', do you mean a single track or a release containing just 1 or 2 tracks ?

The CD equivalent of the oldfashioned vinyl single records (7 inch with large hole in middle; one track on each side; playing at 45rpm.) For the initiated, the CD equivalent contained 3-4 songs typically (usually the original, a b-side and some mix of the original).

Yes, that whats I thought you meant so in that case they are 'albums' in MinimServer parlance so I don't think you would want to remove the ALBUM field. In MusicBrainz parlance they use the term 'Release', and then release subtypes can be 'Album', 'Single', 'E.P' ecetera but release is not a very natural word for this.

If you add a field in MP3tag like RELEASETYPE and set this as 'Single' for singles and 'Album' for albums ectera then add it to indexTags then you could browse at the top level by Single/Album. MusicBrainz Picard (and my own SongKong tagger) have a MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMTYPE/TXXX:MusicBrainz Album Type field that gets autopopulated that you could use for this purpose.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2017, 09:25
(02-05-2017 21:35)paultaylor Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 12:39)Pepsican Wrote:  

Yes, that whats I thought you meant so in that case they are 'albums' in MinimServer parlance so I don't think you would want to remove the ALBUM field. In MusicBrainz parlance they use the term 'Release', and then release subtypes can be 'Album', 'Single', 'E.P' ecetera but release is not a very natural word for this.

If you add a field in MP3tag like RELEASETYPE and set this as 'Single' for singles and 'Album' for albums ectera then add it to indexTags then you could browse at the top level by Single/Album. MusicBrainz Picard (and my own SongKong tagger) have a MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMTYPE/TXXX:MusicBrainz Album Type field that gets autopopulated that you could use for this purpose.

This sounds like an elegant solution and the concept of 'release' sounds correct. I've done something similar for release dates of albums where I have the Original Date for when the album was released and the Release Date for the particular remaster version or for individual tracks on "greatest hits" albums (i.e. AC/DC "Let there be Rock" with an Original Date of 1975 and a Release Date of 1997 for the remaster version). That allows me to listen to music by decade.

Btw, some more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_single
03-05-2017, 09:29 (This post was last modified: 03-05-2017 09:30 by Pepsican.)
(02-05-2017 14:17)BlueDog Wrote:  I ripped mine a while ago and just tagged them the same as I do for an album using the single title as the 'album name', I figured they were essentially an EP. Smile

Link for those of you too young to know what an EP is ... Big Grin

You forgot the maxi-single and the 12" Smile
03-05-2017, 10:47
(03-05-2017 09:29)Pepsican Wrote:  You forgot the maxi-single and the 12" Smile

Big Grin

I've even still got a couple of those 3" CD singles kicking about somewhere. Blush