Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Digital booklets: where to find them?
13-04-2017, 10:36
Digital booklets: where to find them?
Hi

Are there any companies or websites that will either sell or make available digital booklets? After 2 years I have finally ripped my CD collection and got the tagging right, only to now come to the conclusion I may have to manually scan all the booklets as well... Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2017, 07:40
RE: Digital booklets: where to find them?
Chandos: "Whenever possible we provide a high resolution CD cover image and a PDF version of the CD booklet for you to download and keep" (https://www.chandos.net).
I have a number of booklets (classical music only) which I have scanned and then made pdfs out of it by converting the scanned images to real text. But I only took the German text if available. If you are interested ...
15-04-2017, 06:05
(14-04-2017 07:40)Dieter Stockert Wrote:  Chandos: "Whenever possible we provide a high resolution CD cover image and a PDF version of the CD booklet for you to download and keep" (https://www.chandos.net).
I have a number of booklets (classical music only) which I have scanned and then made pdfs out of it by converting the scanned images to real text. But I only took the German text if available. If you are interested ...

Hello Dieter

that would be lovely. Which tool did you use to do this ?

But what will Simon think if his forum becomes a place for trading booklets ?
15-04-2017, 06:16 (This post was last modified: 15-04-2017 06:17 by lyapounov.)
(13-04-2017 10:36)Pepsican Wrote:  Hi

Are there any companies or websites that will either sell or make available digital booklets? After 2 years I have finally ripped my CD collection and got the tagging right, only to now come to the conclusion I may have to manually scan all the booklets as well... Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!

Booklet are usually considered as copyright things. So hard to find them free to download.

info : I am talking in the remaing of this post of real booklets, not scan of paper.

If you buy on Qobuz, you'll have the booklet whenever available. Also with other such web sites like Presto Classical.

I bought, and ripped all Suzuki Bach's cantata on SACD. But I was able to download all booklets starting from http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Pic-Rec-BIG/Suzuki-C52c[BIS-SACD-1981-booklet].pdf and then understanding what was the relation between the BIS number and the album; some sort of reverse engineering.

Good way is to also type in Google "Booklet filetype:pdf"

Amongst other tricks :-)
15-04-2017, 11:02
(15-04-2017 06:05)lyapounov Wrote:  If you are interested ...

that would be lovely. Which tool did you use to do this ?[/quote]
Photoshop CC, then Readiris so I have text that I can edit, and then I make a new booklet now (where I switched from Calamus to InDesign a few months ago). You can send me a private mail for further informations (my real name is Dieter Stockert, you will find me in the web).
16-04-2017, 07:52
Just got this information right now: http://naxosmusiclibrary.com
17-04-2017, 06:46
(14-04-2017 07:40)Dieter Stockert Wrote:  Chandos: "Whenever possible we provide a high resolution CD cover image and a PDF version of the CD booklet for you to download and keep" (https://www.chandos.net).

Thank you very much for the offer. However, my CDs are almost exclusively rock/pop so i doubt it will work.

I did some more searching and it seems the biggest supplier is Apple iTunes, but only as part of album purchases. No-one supplies booklets on their own.
17-04-2017, 17:46 (This post was last modified: 17-04-2017 17:59 by Dieter Stockert.)
I have another source for classical music:
http://www.brilliantclassics.com

With rock/pop etc. I have only the following booklets as pdf:

Kate Bush, 50 Words for Snow
Leonard Cohen, You Want It Darker
John Coltrane, Settin The Pace
Keith Jarrett, Hamburg 72
Keith Jarrett, Creation
Kendrick Lamar, Damn
John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band, Imagine
04-05-2017, 23:59
Hi Dieter,

where did you find the Keith Jarrett booklets?

Thx

Ubuntu Server 18.04.2 LTS
BubbleUPnP on Nexus 5 and Nexus 7
Sony STR-DN850 renderer
05-05-2017, 08:54 (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 08:59 by Dieter Stockert.)
I bought the albums as downloads (Qobuz) and the booklets (PDF files) were included.
I have some more booklets now (no PDF but printed booklets), since a friend payed me some money back. He did it not with bucks but with original CDs:

Abercrombie; Towner: Sargasso Sea
Abercrombie; Wall; Nussbaum: While We're Young
DeJohnette, Jack: Pictures
Garbarek, Jan: It's OK to listen to the gray voice
Garbarek, Jan: Legend Of The Seven Dreams
Garbarek, Jan: Officium
Garbarek, Jan: Ragas and Sagas
Gismonti, Egberto: Dança das cabeças
Jarrett, Keith: Hymns Spheres
Jarrett, Keith: Paris Concert
Jarrett, Keith: Radiance
Jarrett, Keith: Rio