Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remote apps
16-05-2017, 01:13
Remote apps
Hi there,

If I want to run MinimServer on a NAS and then play the content from external networks, what client applications do I need? It looks like BubbleUPnP covers android, but what about iOS? I've been trying to find a relatively simple way to achieve this. I've found lots of references to various chains of equipment and software, but I can't seem to find anything specific for an iOS remote endpoint. The use case I'm looking at is simply being able to play media on my phone while out and about. I can do this easily with Plex and Emby, but Minim doesn't seem as straightforward. Or have I missed something?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2017, 07:20
RE: Remote apps
MinimServer doesn't support this directly. I believe you can use BubbleUPnP Server (not the same as the BubbleUPnP control point) to "wrap" the MinimServer library and enable remote access to it. I haven't tried this myself.
16-05-2017, 11:16 (This post was last modified: 16-05-2017 11:17 by Cebolla.)
Remote access to UPnP/DLNA media servers via the BubbleUPnP Server is limited to the Android BubbleUPnP app (which I think is what the OP meant by "BubbleUPnP covers android") and the (Windows only) foobar2000 audio file player with foo_upnp plugin component.
16-05-2017, 11:32 (This post was last modified: 16-05-2017 11:33 by Cebolla.)
(16-05-2017 01:13)ToddSexington Wrote:  The use case I'm looking at is simply being able to play media on my phone while out and about. I can do this easily with Plex and Emby, but Minim doesn't seem as straightforward. Or have I missed something?
Media servers like Plex & Emby are able to do this because they supply their own controller apps that support their proprietary remote access methods. Neither Plex nor Emby can be accessed remotely if used as a 'straightforward' UPnP/DLNA media server with standard UPnP/DLNA controller apps, so exactly like MinimServer in that case.