Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feature request: tag default value (constant)
29-03-2017, 08:34
Feature request: tag default value (constant)
Hello Simon,
first of all I would like to thank you for the amazing work.
I have been using minimserver for some years now and I can't imagine to go back to anything different for library navigation.

As you can imagine, I have defined a number of custom tags for indexing and formatting.

One of those tags is "ALBUM_RELEASE_TYPE".
Typical values would be "Studio Album", "Live Album", etc etc.
I would like to set most of the albums to "Studio Album", without having to explicitly set the tag to a whole lot of files. I would rather prefer to set the value only when the album is not a "Studio Album".

To do that, I would need the be able to set a default value to a constant value (not to a value from another tag, a feature I see is currently already available).

Do you think this might be possible, or do you have suggestions for a workaround (other than setting tag values to the relevant files)?

Thank you very much!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2017, 08:30
RE: Feature request: tag default value (constant)
(29-03-2017 08:34)GioF_71 Wrote:  Hello Simon,
first of all I would like to thank you for the amazing work.
I have been using minimserver for some years now and I can't imagine to go back to anything different for library navigation.

As you can imagine, I have defined a number of custom tags for indexing and formatting.

One of those tags is "ALBUM_RELEASE_TYPE".
Typical values would be "Studio Album", "Live Album", etc etc.
I would like to set most of the albums to "Studio Album", without having to explicitly set the tag to a whole lot of files. I would rather prefer to set the value only when the album is not a "Studio Album".

To do that, I would need the be able to set a default value to a constant value (not to a value from another tag, a feature I see is currently already available).

Do you think this might be possible, or do you have suggestions for a workaround (other than setting tag values to the relevant files)?

Thank you very much!

As an immediate solution, you could achieve this with MP3Tag. It allows you to make macro-like rules that can update a specific field in bulk.
05-04-2017, 10:30
Yes thanks I am aware of that, thanks, but still this operation (a very massive tagging) is time consuming, I thought a different type of default (a constant value instead of a value obtained for another tag would add a lot of flexibility to MinimServer.
Thank you anyway for your help, Pepsican :-)
06-04-2017, 17:22
I am thinking about how best to do this. It might be something like

Mytag.default="my default string"

instead of

Mytag.default={OtherTag}

The syntax will need to deal with strings containing quotes or commas. I think the syntax that handles this in the excludePattern property should work.

This is now on my list of requested enhancements but I can't give any estimate of timing.
10-04-2017, 12:30 (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017 12:30 by GioF_71.)
Hello Simon, thank you for the update.

I do not know if this feature should replace the existing one (Mytag.default={OtherTag}). I do not currently use this option, but maybe someone is.
A suggestion might be use two identifiers, like e.g.

Mytag.default -> to be use with other tag (as in current versions)
Mytag.constantValue -> new, to be use with a string with hyphens as you mentioned.

Of course if one specifies constantValue, that setting would override the 'constant' o trigger an error.

For my specific case, as I do not currently use .default, any solution would do just fine. Of course the choice is yours.

Thank you again for the feedback.
Please keep up with the excellent work!!!
10-04-2017, 22:16
The options in the tagValue property are processed in order of appearance, so it would be possible to specify:

Mytag.default={OtherTag}, Mytag.default="my default string"

This would apply the OtherTag value as the default if OtherTag is present in the file and would apply "my default string" as the default value if no OtherTag value was applied.

The reverse order would also be also valid:

Mytag.default="my default string", Mytag.default={OtherTag}

but this is not useful because it would just be equivalent to:

Mytag.default="my default string"

Although this works, I think your suggestion of using a different option name for a string value might be clearer and for this I think the option name defaultValue would be a good choice.

I don't understand your reference to "a string with hyphens". The string could contain any characters.
16-04-2017, 19:23
Hello again Simon, and thank you.
Glad you appreciated the suggestions.
About the reference to "a string with hyphens", I think I did not explain myselft correctly. I meant any text, surrounded by hyphens, as the usual way to identify a string. So nothing special :-)

Regards
Giovanni
07-09-2018, 18:09
Hello, sorry to bother, I know you said you could not provide information about the timing.
Still after some time I'd like to kindly ask if this implementation is in your pipeline.
Thanks a lot.
10-09-2018, 21:27
This is still on the list but it is not likely that it will be implemented in the near future. I am sorry to disappoint you but I think you would prefer an honest answer.
19-09-2018, 14:41 (This post was last modified: 19-09-2018 14:41 by GioF_71.)
OK thank you, I appreciate that.
OTOH, I am also a java programmer, so in case you make some decisions about the distribution model, I would be more than happy to participate to the project.
Either way, congratulations for the excellent work.