Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feature request: tag default value (constant)
21-09-2018, 10:55 (This post was last modified: 21-09-2018 10:55 by paultaylor.)
RE: Feature request: tag default value (constant)
(19-09-2018 14:41)GioF_71 Wrote:  OK thank you, I appreciate that.
OTOH, I am also a java programmer, so in case you make some decisions about the distribution model, I would be more than happy to participate to the project.
Hi, it would be quite trivial to use a tagging application to simply set this value for all files that are blank. But also since you are a Java programmer you could also very easily use my jaudiotagger opensrc library to achieve this.

I would also think that in general it makes sense to try and do things once and keep the MinimServer configuration simple rather than trying to do everything in MinimServer, since the more complex the MinimServer configuration the slower it may be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2019, 09:22
Hello paultaylor, sorry for reviving such a zombie thread.
While you are totally right, I was exactly trying to avoid a full rewrite of my library just to set a default value.

Quote:I would also think that in general it makes sense to try and do things once and keep the MinimServer configuration simple rather than trying to do everything in MinimServer, since the more complex the MinimServer configuration the slower it may be.

Also right... [he says while he wipes his tears]
Find all posts by this user
15-11-2019, 10:13
I have a tag called ALBUMTYPE that serves a very similar purpose, although I make sure it's always populated with numeric values that I translate to literals using MinimServer's tagUpdate functionality:

@ALBUMTYPE=1
=ALBUMTYPE=Studio
@ALBUMTYPE=2
=ALBUMTYPE=BestOf
@ALBUMTYPE=3
=ALBUMTYPE=Live
@ALBUMTYPE=4
=ALBUMTYPE=Archival
@ALBUMTYPE=5
=ALBUMTYPE=Compilation
@ALBUMTYPE=6
=ALBUMTYPE=Soundtrack

I did it this way so it's trivial to change the description going forwards.

@simoncn, is there a way to have the tagUpdate process match a missing tag/value (I've tried leaving it blank)? If it were possible then all GioF_71 would need to supply is:

@ALBUM_RELEASE_TYPE=
=ALBUM_RELEASE_TYPE=Studio Album
15-11-2019, 17:55
The tagUpdate process works only if there is a matching physical tag in the file, so the file would need to contain the tag 'ALBUM_RELEASE_TYPE='. Omitting the ALBUM_RELEASE_TYPE tag from the file would not work.
29-04-2020, 20:35 (This post was last modified: 30-04-2020 09:01 by simbun.)
I just used this approach myself and was reminded of a previous question about applying a default constant, so whilst it might be too late for the OP it might be of some use to others.

Create a tagUpdate file that creates a new tag containing the value 'Studio Album' for every file (use a tag that makes it easier to cover your whole collection):
@DISCNUMBER=01
@DISCNUMBER=02
@DISCNUMBER=03
+ALBUM_RELEASE_STUDIO=Studio Album

Or in MinimServer 2 I believe you can use #AudioFormat, which for me would result in only a single update group (for FLAC) but your mileage may vary.

Then in itemTags include:
ALBUM_RELEASE_STUDIO

and in tagValue:
ALBUM_RELEASE_TYPE.default={ALBUM_RELEASE_STUDIO}

Then you'll have 'Studio Album' appear where there's no ALBUM_RELEASE_TYPE tag available.

It's not ideal to have to generate a new tag to hold the constant, but in the absence of another way (unless I've missed something new).