Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does it really matter what Control Point you use ?
16-03-2017, 22:38
Does it really matter what Control Point you use ?
Since what a Control Point can browse is decided by the Media server (e.g MinimServer) and it should work with any compatible Media Renderer does it really matter what Control Point you use.

I have tried a few and they all seem very much the same, or is the difference in how they support different media renderer hardware

What would others recommend for:

- Android
- Mac
- PC
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2017, 22:59
RE: Does it really matter what Control Point you use ?
There are differences between control points, some of which are cosmetic and some of which are functional. See this section for some notes that might be helpful.

I use BubbleUPnP on Android and Linn Kinsky on Windows PC.
Find all posts by this user
17-03-2017, 09:22 (This post was last modified: 17-03-2017 09:27 by paultaylor.)
(16-03-2017 22:59)simoncn Wrote:  There are differences between control points, some of which are cosmetic and some of which are functional. See this section for some notes that might be helpful.

I use BubbleUPnP on Android and Linn Kinsky on Windows PC.

Thankyou that is useful, out of interest that list shows their compatability with Minim Server. Are they all equally compatible with different media renderers or not, i.e could use Linn Kinsky for any renderer ?

For example its seems the Naim App is specifically for Naim renderers, but Im not clear if it can only be used for Naim Renderers, and if you have a Naim renderer whether you have to use the Naim app ?
17-03-2017, 09:42
This section and the following section provide a brief guide to using various control points and renderers with MinimServer. It is beyond the scope of the MinimServer user guide to describe how these control points work with different renderers.

To answer your specific questions, the Naim control point only works if there is a Naim renderer on the network. Kinsky works with any OpenHome or UPnP AV renderer but there are issues with track advancement when it is controlling a UPnP AV renderer.
17-03-2017, 18:13
(17-03-2017 09:42)simoncn Wrote:  This section and the following section provide a brief guide to using various control points and renderers with MinimServer. It is beyond the scope of the MinimServer user guide to describe how these control points work with different renderers.

To answer your specific questions, the Naim control point only works if there is a Naim renderer on the network. Kinsky works with any OpenHome or UPnP AV renderer but there are issues with track advancement when it is controlling a UPnP AV renderer.
Thanks that great, what Im not clear about is the distinction between OpenHome and UPnP AV, does the OpenHome part only apply to the media renderer or does it apply to media server and control point as well. Sorry I realize we are probably straying away from MinimServer here but Im sure I am not the only one who would find this useful to know.
17-03-2017, 18:31 (This post was last modified: 17-03-2017 18:57 by simoncn.)
OpenHome (or more specifically, the OpenHome ohMedia specification) is a protocol developed by Linn for renderers. It replaces the standard UPnP services for renderers and provides additional functionality. This functionality includes support for Songcast, Qobuz, Tidal and the ability for the renderer to advance tracks without the control point being active. For details, see this page.