Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wireless system that works with MinimServer? (SONOS alternative)
14-03-2017, 12:35
Wireless system that works with MinimServer? (SONOS alternative)
It appears that SONOS doesn't really work with MinimServer. I'm wondering if anybody can recommend an alternative system that *does* work with MinimServer.

Does anybody know how Denon HEOS or Bluesound work?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2017, 16:12
RE: Wireless system that works with MinimServer? (SONOS alternative)
I don't own an Heos but it is UPNP compliant so should work with MinimServer. Bluesound however doesn't use MinimServer, it directly accesses the share where the music files are stored.

(14-03-2017 12:35)adrian Wrote:  It appears that SONOS doesn't really work with MinimServer. I'm wondering if anybody can recommend an alternative system that *does* work with MinimServer.

Does anybody know how Denon HEOS or Bluesound work?
14-03-2017, 18:32
Yeah, I did eventually read that Bluesound doesn't do UPNP at all. SONOS will also access a share directly.

There's also Auralic Ares which does do UPNP, though they recommend that you use their "Lightning" server. It's not clear what happens if you don't, but it seems that it should work. Of course, for both this option and HEOS there's "works" and then there's "works well". My current setup works...but not very well.
15-03-2017, 05:12
(14-03-2017 18:32)adrian Wrote:  There's also Auralic Ares which does do UPNP, though they recommend that you use their "Lightning" server. It's not clear what happens if you don't, but it seems that it should work.

I have an Auralic Aries Mini and it works just fine with Minimserver.
15-03-2017, 13:52 (This post was last modified: 15-03-2017 14:00 by Cebolla.)
Goodness, is this just an excercise in listing every single UPnP/DLNA or OpenHome supporting wireless network audio file player/renderer/streamer (so includes 'smart' TVs, BD players, AV receivers, etc) of the 100's (if not 1000's) that are out there?!!!
15-03-2017, 14:01
(15-03-2017 13:52)Cebolla Wrote:  Goodness, is this just an excercise in listing every single UPnP/DLNA or OpenHome supporting wireless network audio file player/renderer/streamer of the 100's (if not 1000's) that are out there?!!!

Actually no, the OP asked specifically about Denon, Bluesound and Auralic.
15-03-2017, 14:05
I was looking for multi-room systems. Does any UPnP/DNLA system provide synchronized multi-zone playback (e.g. like SONOS)? That wasn't my impression. It seems like OpenHome is supposed to provide this, but I haven't seen a list of OpenHome systems anywhere. Aurelic is the only OpenHome system I know about. And for the multi-room playback problem I'm only aware of SONOS, Denon HEOS, Bluesound and Auralic Aries as systems that allow you to supply your own speaker. I'm aware of a handful of other ones that seem closed in this regard (you have to use speakers in their lineup). If there are 100's or 1000's of other options I'd love to see the list. Or to know how to identify options if I see them.

In fact, it would be nice to find some kind of general tutorial about this subject, what the general options are and so on. What are products in this category even called? If OpenHome is really an open standard with broad support does that mean I can mix products from different companies and have them work together? It seems like every system comes with a proprietary controller app, so part of the question becomes, does system X have a decent app? If there's some way to avoid a tight connection like this and choose an app independent of a system that might be helpful.
15-03-2017, 14:16
(15-03-2017 14:05)adrian Wrote:  I was looking for multi-room systems. Does any UPnP/DNLA system provide synchronized multi-zone playback (e.g. like SONOS)?
Ok - so it was your thread's title that was unclear.
15-03-2017, 14:17
Well, like I said, the "magic of google" has enabled me to find four options. I wouldn't mind a bigger list since none of the four seem to be ideal.
15-03-2017, 14:22
(15-03-2017 14:16)Cebolla Wrote:  
(15-03-2017 14:05)adrian Wrote:  I was looking for multi-room systems. Does any UPnP/DNLA system provide synchronized multi-zone playback (e.g. like SONOS)?
Ok - so it was your thread's title that was unclear.

Yeah, I think the title could have been better. But when you don't know what something is called, it's both hard to find it on google and hard to write a clear title. I started out thinking, "Maybe SONOS will solve my problem". Then it seemed that it wouldn't, hence "SONOS alternative".