Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Request: Vorbis transcoding
12-02-2017, 02:35
Request: Vorbis transcoding
I was hoping you'd consider adding Ogg Vorbis as an input option in MinimStreamer.

I'm using Hi-Fi Cast on my Android device to control my Chromecast Audio. Hi-Fi Cast is nice because it supports gapless playback on the Chromecast, but only for FLAC, WAV, mp3, and m4a. Vorbis plays, but not gaplessly. Back a zillion years ago when I ripped my CD library, I ripped titles where gapless mattered to Vorbis, as gapless mp3 wasn't really a thing yet. (I wish before my last computer with a CD drive died I had thought to re-rip those discs!)

Anyway, I've requested that Hi-Fi Cast add gapless Vorbis support, but in the meantime I believe transcoding to WAV would solve the problem, too. Thanks for your consideration.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2017, 16:14
RE: Request: Vorbis transcoding
(12-02-2017 02:35)likescookies Wrote:  I was hoping you'd consider adding Ogg Vorbis as an input option in MinimStreamer.

I'm using Hi-Fi Cast on my Android device to control my Chromecast Audio. Hi-Fi Cast is nice because it supports gapless playback on the Chromecast, but only for FLAC, WAV, mp3, and m4a. Vorbis plays, but not gaplessly. Back a zillion years ago when I ripped my CD library, I ripped titles where gapless mattered to Vorbis, as gapless mp3 wasn't really a thing yet. (I wish before my last computer with a CD drive died I had thought to re-rip those discs!)

Anyway, I've requested that Hi-Fi Cast add gapless Vorbis support, but in the meantime I believe transcoding to WAV would solve the problem, too. Thanks for your consideration.

Isn't FLAC based on Vorbis? What is it you like about Vorbis or need from it? Perhaps FLAC could cater for it?
13-02-2017, 19:09
Hi, Pepsican. I stopped compressing music files with Ogg Vorbis years ago, once gapless mp3 became widely supported. But I still have a large library of Vorbis files left from back then.

Permanently transcoding all my Vorbis files to FLAC would solve the problem, though putting lossy data in a lossless container would be...inelegant. And it would take up a lot of hard drive space. So that's why I was looking around for a transcoding-on-the-fly solution.
14-02-2017, 09:25 (This post was last modified: 14-02-2017 09:28 by Pepsican.)
(13-02-2017 19:09)likescookies Wrote:  Hi, Pepsican. I stopped compressing music files with Ogg Vorbis years ago, once gapless mp3 became widely supported. But I still have a large library of Vorbis files left from back then.

Permanently transcoding all my Vorbis files to FLAC would solve the problem, though putting lossy data in a lossless container would be...inelegant. And it would take up a lot of hard drive space. So that's why I was looking around for a transcoding-on-the-fly solution.

FLAC can be compressed, unlike WAV, to various levels and its metadata flexibility is, in my view, much better than MP3 will ever be. Perhaps you could try a conversion and compare the source and target files?

Don't get me wrong, I still think adding Vorbis as a format to MinimServer is a good suggestion. But converting to FLAC would mean that your files can be played anywhere and everywhere as no streamer/software (other than Apple, which is only a tiny bit of the market) cannot play FLAC. FLAC, WAV, MP3 and AIFF are pretty much core file formats, followed shortly by AAC and ALAC.
14-02-2017, 18:22
I will investigate how much work it would take to add transcoding support for Vorbis. This probably won't happen in the immediate future.
14-02-2017, 19:59 (This post was last modified: 14-02-2017 20:01 by Cebolla.)
(14-02-2017 18:22)simoncn Wrote:  I will investigate how much work it would take to add transcoding support for Vorbis. This probably won't happen in the immediate future.
Hi Simon

If and when you do decide to provide transcoding support for Ogg Vorbis, could you also mitigate (if not provide full support) for Ogg FLAC?
I'm currently successfully getting MinimStreamer to transcode high quality lossless Ogg FLAC internet radio streams to WAV, indirectly via the '*' unspecified input type and ffmpeg. Any future assumption that Ogg file streams can only carry Vorbis encoded audio may very well break being able to transcode Ogg FLAC radio streams to WAV & LPCM with MinimStreamer in this way.

John
14-02-2017, 21:25
(14-02-2017 19:59)Cebolla Wrote:  Hi Simon

If and when you do decide to provide transcoding support for Ogg Vorbis, could you also mitigate (if not provide full support) for Ogg FLAC?
I'm currently successfully getting MinimStreamer to transcode high quality lossless Ogg FLAC internet radio streams to WAV, indirectly via the '*' unspecified input type and ffmpeg. Any future assumption that Ogg file streams can only carry Vorbis encoded audio may very well break being able to transcode Ogg FLAC radio streams to WAV & LPCM with MinimStreamer in this way.

John

Thanks for letting me know about this. Can you post some URLs for Ogg FLAC internet radio streams so that I can try this myself?
15-02-2017, 15:54
(14-02-2017 18:22)simoncn Wrote:  I will investigate how much work it would take to add transcoding support for Vorbis. This probably won't happen in the immediate future.

Thank you! You're the best.
15-02-2017, 17:03
(14-02-2017 21:25)simoncn Wrote:  
(14-02-2017 19:59)Cebolla Wrote:  Hi Simon

John

Thanks for letting me know about this. Can you post some URLs for Ogg FLAC internet radio streams so that I can try this myself?
Sure, here's a few.

Rondo Classic's Klasu stream (Classical), 16/44.1kHz - from Finland:
http://stream.iradio.fi:8000/klasu.flac

Jukebox Radio JB Radio2 (Eclectic/Indie/Blues/Rock), 16/192kHz - from Greece:
http://209.126.66.166:10999/flac

The Cheese (Current/90s/80s Hits), 16/44.1kHz - from New Zealand:
http://thecheese.ddns.net:8004/stream
01-04-2017, 14:48

This support is now available in MinimStreamer 0.6.2. I have verified that it doesn't cause any problems with streaming Ogg/FLAC radio stations.