Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Multiple Instances
05-01-2017, 21:45
Multiple Instances
Hi

I have minimserver running on two identical Pi's both running Jessie 2 from IQ Audio

One is connected to an attached USB disc, the other to a windows 10 network drive.

The two Pi's have different host names

I control them using Kinsky. I have this installed on two separate PC's in order to check installation

I cannot get them both to be available as libraries at the same time on either of the Kinsky PC's. It can sometimes be one on one of them and the other on the other one although more often it is either one or the other on both Kinsky PC's

Both kinskys do present the two Pi's as available "rooms"

Both Pi's are installed with SAMBA, ALSA, MPD, UPMPDCLI and MPC
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2017, 21:51
RE: Multiple Instances
Did you by any chance copy the minimserver.config file from one instance to the other? This is very inadvisable as it can cause the problems that you are now seeing.
06-01-2017, 09:56
(05-01-2017 21:51)simoncn Wrote:  Did you by any chance copy the minimserver.config file from one instance to the other? This is very inadvisable as it can cause the problems that you are now seeing.

I made an image of the SD of one, copied that to a new SD, and then changed the host name on the new one. I have since compared the minimserver.config files and they are identical except for the minimserver.contentDir.

Should I uninstall minimserver on one and re install it?
06-01-2017, 10:54
Yes, you should do this and create a new configuration from scratch. You can use MinimWatch to manually copy values from your other configuration. This should solve the problem.
06-01-2017, 12:10
(06-01-2017 10:54)simoncn Wrote:  Yes, you should do this and create a new configuration from scratch. You can use MinimWatch to manually copy values from your other configuration. This should solve the problem.

Thanks so much, this looks as if it is going to work (it takes a couple of hours to rescan my network drive)
06-01-2017, 13:27 (This post was last modified: 06-01-2017 13:29 by Martin H.)
(06-01-2017 12:10)Alan Robinson Wrote:  
(06-01-2017 10:54)simoncn Wrote:  Yes, you should do this and create a new configuration from scratch. You can use MinimWatch to manually copy values from your other configuration. This should solve the problem.

Thanks so much, this looks as if it is going to work (it takes a couple of hours to rescan my network drive)

A couple of hours? Seriously? That is one humongous collection or one awful disk drive? Big Grin

just noticed the reference to pi's - is this the problem - i.e are you running the server on a pi ?
07-01-2017, 09:46
Yes it is a large collection (9,000 plus albums) although I think that it being housed on a network drive on a PC slows it down

I would like to connect to a local usb and this same network drive from my Pi but am having problems setting up the contentDir. I put {/media/pi/TOSHIBAMUSIC}{/mnt/disc1} into the browser interface but get (in red) Content directory isn't absolute: {/media/pi/TOSHIBAMUSIC}{/mnt/disc1}
the two sources work individually but not together
07-01-2017, 20:35
You can't specify multiple content directories using the status web page (browser interface). For this, you need to use MinimWatch.
07-01-2017, 23:09
Can I directly edit minimserver.contentDir in Minimserver.config ? I don't see how to be able to use MinimWatch on my headless Pi
08-01-2017, 08:23
(07-01-2017 23:09)Alan Robinson Wrote:  Can I directly edit minimserver.contentDir in Minimserver.config ? I don't see how to be able to use MinimWatch on my headless Pi

You should not directly edit the minimserver.config file.

You can login to the Pi using SSH and run MinimWatch as a console application. See the sections Running MinimWatch on Linux and Controlling MinimServer using console commands for details.

Alternatively, you can run MinimWatch as a graphical application on any other computer that is connected to your local network. This is the preferred approach because you can open Properties windows for multiple MinimServer instances at the same time and copy and paste property settings between these windows. See the sections Running MinimWatch and Controlling MinimServer using the minim icon for details.