Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
pic handling for indexed items
01-01-2017, 11:44
pic handling for indexed items
Using pics for 'real' folders is pretty easy since Minim either allows collecting embedded art or picture files places in the physical folders themselves.
This works as long as you dig down a straight path or in case you want to deal at file level.
if you want to index for label/publisher or /country/language I'm lost, since I can't find a way to tell Minimserver that a given publisher name should be served with a picture belonging to that publisher.
I've tried a lot with playlists and such like without any luck.
Means I tried to build a playlist named 'Virgin' so that this acts as a publisher index but I didn't get it working.

Any idea if there's a way to get this solved?
If not, any idea if something could get implemented some day allowing that?
Applies to multiple uses. Genres, Publishers, Languages, Releastypes, Decades whatsoever, in fact everything which lacks the presence of physical folders.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2017, 16:06
RE: pic handling for indexed items
This isn't supported at present. The main issue is where these images would be placed in the library folder structure. I made a suggestion in this post some time ago but as you can see from looking at the thread, there wasn't much interest from users.
09-01-2017, 22:00
(02-01-2017 16:06)simoncn Wrote:  The main issue is where these images would be placed in the library folder structure.

I think that's a 1990 decade thread is it? I think so because the way the disgussion was done reflects the old concepts from the days where users did cry loud since embedding a coverpic did eat up that much of the lovely HDD space that all wanted to make redundant data as small as possible, while still wanting to have the benefits of embedded data.

I think my HDD used when I started my audio collection was sized .... somewhat equal to the buffermemory my actual drive offer.

So in the end it's not a question of 'where' to store, it's more a question about how much benefit a user gets out of data he did embeed into the files. The handling is pretty the same no matter if we talk about album front covers, artists, genres, label/publishers whatsoever. In ID3v2.x it's all well defined since decades but some softwarecoders are still stuck with concepts which are ideal if you tend to use 30MB MFM or RLL HHDs from the 80th. ;-)
09-01-2017, 22:54
ID3v2 and FLAC/Vorbis tags include some of these image types (e.g., Artist, Composer) but not others (e.g., Genre, Decade). I don't think MP4/iTunes tags include an image type in the 'covr' atom.

The other problems with embedding these images in the files are:

1) Additional disk space usage, as you have said

2) Lack of tools that support writing and reading multiple image types in a file

3) Inconsistent images: for example, some files by an artist might have a different embedded artist image than other files by the same artist
10-01-2017, 16:45
(09-01-2017 22:54)simoncn Wrote:  ID3v2 and FLAC/Vorbis tags include some of these image types (e.g., Artist, Composer) but not others (e.g., Genre, Decade).
I think I would have recoded my m4a (mp4 audio) albums if this format wouldn't have allowed me to add metadate incl. multiple pictures.

Anyway not such a big problem, but looking at 1400artists, more but 200 publishers and a similar amount of genres all sharing the very same folder icon for their representation is as if being warped back into the 80th.
10-01-2017, 17:57
(10-01-2017 16:45)aliasname Wrote:  I think I would have recoded my m4a (mp4 audio) albums if this format wouldn't have allowed me to add metadate incl. multiple pictures.

I tried adding an additional picture to an m4a file using iTunes. The picture was added but I didn't see anywhere to specify what the picture represented (e.g, artist picture, publisher picture, genre picture).