Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSD files to DAC
11-07-2016, 18:07
DSD files to DAC
Hello,
I am running MinimServer on a QNAP NAS and have BubbleUPnP as my control point on a Samsung tablet.
Now that I am sure it works with WAV and FLAC files I want to try adding my DSD files to the server.

Can MinimServer recognize and read the tags from the DSD files?

Can MinimServer send DSD (DSF and DFF) files directly to my DAC without transcoding to DOP?

Thanks,
Chip
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2016, 18:51
RE: DSD files to DAC
(11-07-2016 18:07)chip Wrote:  Can MinimServer recognize and read the tags from the DSD files?

MinimServer reads tags from DSF files only. The DFF specification doesn't support tagging.

Quote:Can MinimServer send DSD (DSF and DFF) files directly to my DAC without transcoding to DOP?

Yes, this is the default. However, very few DACs are able to handle this.
11-07-2016, 19:44
Hi,
Yes, I should have been more specific about the DSD file format. I understand the tags are only available in the DSF format.

I can select DSF files based on the tags using my control point (BubbleUPnP) and send them to the DAC with tags.

From your second answer I understand MinimServer can send DFF files to my DAC.
Since these files do not have tags would I need to access these files from the Folder view?

I have a PS Audio DirectStream DAC. The specifications say it can accept Standard and Double rate DSD raw files.
So if I do not enable transcoding I should be able to send the raw DSD files to the DAC?

Do I understand correctly?

Thanks,
Chip
11-07-2016, 21:09
Yes, all this should work as long as the PS Audio DAC understands the MIME types that MinimServer uses to send raw DSD files. These are audio/x-dsf and audio/x-dff.
16-07-2016, 12:59
Hi Simon,

I have the same 'problem' with minimserver. I have an Onkyo PR-SC5530 hooked up, with can process dsf, dff, dsd and sacd files without problem, unless the mimetype is set correctly for it to understand. ie. dsf=audio/dsf (without the 'x'). This works with the native synology media player. It is perhaps possible the I can set up a mimetype for dsf so that it won't be transcoded in minimserver but only the output is set to the specified mimetype?

Thumbs up for all the good work!

Cheers

Eric Aling, The Netherlands
23-07-2016, 10:48 (This post was last modified: 23-07-2016 10:56 by simoncn.)
(16-07-2016 12:59)ericaling Wrote:  Hi Simon,

I have the same 'problem' with minimserver. I have an Onkyo PR-SC5530 hooked up, with can process dsf, dff, dsd and sacd files without problem, unless the mimetype is set correctly for it to understand. ie. dsf=audio/dsf (without the 'x'). This works with the native synology media player. It is perhaps possible the I can set up a mimetype for dsf so that it won't be transcoded in minimserver but only the output is set to the specified mimetype?

Cheers

The audio/dsf MIME type is incorrect. The naming convention for MIME types is that types without the "x-" prefix must be registered in the IANA list. For unregistered type names, the "x-" prefix should be used.

It isn't possible to configure MinimServer to use a different MIME type. Most players support DoP (DSD over PCM) encapsulation of DSD audio data. Have you tried using MinimStreamer DoP/WAV transcoding for your DSF files?
28-07-2016, 20:18
(23-07-2016 10:48)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-07-2016 12:59)ericaling Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Cheers

The audio/dsf MIME type is incorrect. The naming convention for MIME types is that types without the "x-" prefix must be registered in the IANA list. For unregistered type names, the "x-" prefix should be used.

It isn't possible to configure MinimServer to use a different MIME type. Most players support DoP (DSD over PCM) encapsulation of DSD audio data. Have you tried using MinimStreamer DoP/WAV transcoding for your DSF files?

Hi Simon,

Yes I have, I thought it didn't work. I'll try again. The strange thing is that my dac does supports dsf, but only if the mime is audio/dsf, weird. I'll come back with the results. Cheers.
02-09-2016, 05:27 (This post was last modified: 02-09-2016 05:28 by lyapounov.)
(23-07-2016 10:48)simoncn Wrote:  The audio/dsf MIME type is incorrect. The naming convention for MIME types is that types without the "x-" prefix must be registered in the IANA list. For unregistered type names, the "x-" prefix should be used.

Simon, just for my understanding :

1) none of the now usual audio file format (flac dsf etc.) is registered in the iana. So proper mime type is audio/x- flac audio/x-dsf etc.

2) I have transformed an iso from my sacd to DSF files using ISO2DSD and I see (using command file -I on Mac OSx terminal) that the mime type is application/octet-stream and not audio/x-dsf

3) I think I got it : the mime type is not embeded in the file as I thought, but it is the server which decides to propagate it, or the OS which decides according to the file type...

4) shall I conclude that minimserver defines the mime type when streaming the file according to the file extension (in that case .dsf) and not according to the content ?

Am I correct ?

Thx
06-09-2016, 21:05
MinimServer looks for audio files by checking a list of supported extension types. When MinimServer finds a file with a supported extension, it examines the content of the file to make sure it matches the expected type. If the content matches, the file is served with the MIME type that MinimServer uses for the content type. These MIME types are hard wired and can't be changed by the user.

Here is the current list of extensions and corresponding MIME types for audio files:

.flac audio/x-flac
.mp4 audio/mp4
.m4a audio/mp4
.mp3 audio/mpeg
.aif audio/x-aiff
.aiff audio/x-aiff
.wav audio/x-wav
.aac audio/aac
.dff audio/x-dff
.dsf audio/x-dsf
.ogg audio/ogg

Some MIME types are used only for transcoded streams: