Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Renderer of Choice?
09-06-2016, 05:12
Renderer of Choice?
I am curious what everyone is using as their renderer?

I have a $139.00 US Cubox-i running Volumio with USB out into a Bel Canto REFLink + DAC. Will I do better with a higher-end renderer component?

Not trying to start a "religious discussion" on the topic; I am really looking for product recommendations for my next streamer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2016, 15:15
RE: Renderer of Choice?
(09-06-2016 05:12)krutsch Wrote:  I am curious what everyone is using as their renderer?

I have a $139.00 US Cubox-i running Volumio with USB out into a Bel Canto REFLink + DAC. Will I do better with a higher-end renderer component?

Not trying to start a "religious discussion" on the topic; I am really looking for product recommendations for my next streamer.

I highly recommend Sonore microrendu (around 640$ US). It interfaces perfectly with minimserver, and good control points like BubbleUPnP, Lumin and Kinsky. Sound quality is excellent.
10-06-2016, 11:08
(09-06-2016 05:12)krutsch Wrote:  I am curious what everyone is using as their renderer?

I use a Auralic Aries with USB out into an AMR DP-777 SE which is a Non oversampling DAC, but who needs DSD?
10-06-2016, 12:56
I used an Odroid C1+ with Volumio. I now switched to a Sonore microRendu. Renderers and transports do matter. But it is not always that more expensive = better.
10-06-2016, 14:59
(10-06-2016 12:56)Pepsican Wrote:  I used an Odroid C1+ with Volumio. I now switched to a Sonore microRendu. Renderers and transports do matter. But it is not always that more expensive = better.

And you can really hear the difference? Not trolling; I am asking a sincere question?

Thanks.
11-06-2016, 02:16
Currently, Moon Neo 380D and in the past CH-Precision C1 and MPD/Upmpdcli
12-06-2016, 13:11
(11-06-2016 02:16)rompolompo Wrote:  Currently, Moon Neo 380D and in the past CH-Precision C1 and MPD/Upmpdcli

Both renderers (Moon Neo 380D about €5k / CH-Precision C1 about €33k) are an serious investment.
Like Pepsican stated: "But it is not always that more expensive = better"?
13-06-2016, 04:24
I can't talk on behalf of other people but the CH C1 is amazing and the best DAC I used. The Moon is very close in performance. It is all a matter of perspective.
13-06-2016, 09:57 (This post was last modified: 13-06-2016 10:22 by Pepsican.)
(10-06-2016 14:59)krutsch Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 12:56)Pepsican Wrote:  I used an Odroid C1+ with Volumio. I now switched to a Sonore microRendu. Renderers and transports do matter. But it is not always that more expensive = better.

And you can really hear the difference? Not trolling; I am asking a sincere question?

Thanks.

Yes, I can hear a difference. But it is fairly subtle. I find differences in transports and renderers less great / smaller than differences between DACs, amplifiers or speakers.

Also, I found the software for the microRendu to be a bit more polished with more regular updates.
13-06-2016, 18:22
(13-06-2016 09:57)Pepsican Wrote:  Yes, I can hear a difference. But it is fairly subtle. I find differences in transports and renderers less great / smaller than differences between DACs, amplifiers or speakers.

Also, I found the software for the microRendu to be a bit more polished with more regular updates.

Thanks for your reply. I've been following the uRendu on CA and people seem very impressed. I'm inclined to try one with an existing 6v linear power supply I have lying around. I'll move the Cubox-i to the living room and retire the Bryston BDP-1, as long as the uRendu can compare favorably with the Bryston.

I was very much in the same camp as you, until I auditioned (then purchased) the BDP-1, which was a surprising step up from my MacBook Retina. But their software... ugh...