Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
display composer as artist only for genre=Classical
20-05-2016, 18:28
display composer as artist only for genre=Classical
I have the setting

tagFormat=Artist.displayFormat={$composer^^: $artist}

which I wrote so that classical music would display the composer in the artist field. This works great, except that I have some pop music that came with the composer tag set. Usually I don't want to see the composer of pop music. One solution of course is to delete the tags from the files, but it seems a shame to throw away the information.

Is there any mechanism to display the composer only for files where there exists a genre tag "Classical"? I thought about trying to use the tagUpdate feature, but it seems not quite able to do the job (erase the Composer tag if there does not exist a genre tag set to "Classical"). Have I overlooked anything? (I could save the pop music composer tags in a custom tag, I suppose, and erase the main composer tags from those files.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2016, 20:05
RE: display composer as artist only for genre=Classical
I think the best solution would be to use a different tag name (such as PopComposer) for your pop composers. This preserves the information in case you find a use for it in future. Mp3tag can automate this kind of change and this might also be possible with other tagging programs.
24-05-2016, 14:15
RE: display composer as artist only for genre=Classical
(20-05-2016 20:05)simoncn Wrote:  I think the best solution would be to use a different tag name (such as PopComposer) for your pop composers. This preserves the information in case you find a use for it in future. Mp3tag can automate this kind of change and this might also be possible with other tagging programs.

Mp3tag is a Windows program and I only have Linux. I used Puddletag to do this. (I've heard puddletag is simlar to mp3tag.) I couldn't find a fully automatic approach, but I was able to do it in a semiautomatic fashion by opening up directories near the top level, sorting on the composer tag field, and then cutting and pasting the Composer entries into the PopComposer field. It wasn't too bad.