Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Problem..
07-05-2016, 11:25
Problem..
Hi

Since updating my DS1511+ to DSM6 (and consequently Minimserver to 8.4 and Java 8) Minimserver has become unstable and I am getting numerous crashes.

I have reinstalled both Minimserver and Java but cant get to the bottom of the problem. All seems stable when using minimstreamer and the BBC streams but as soon as I stream flacs (both standard and hi res) I have frequent random crashes and Minimserver stops. I've tried reboots etc but nothing seems to resolve it. Prior to installing DSM 6, Minimserver was bullet proof.

Anyone else with similar issues?

Streaming from a Synology 1511+ to a Cyrus Stream XP2 QX, 2x Roberts 93i, A Revo Superconnect, a Mede8er 600 3D and a few Squeezeboxes thrown in!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2016, 13:43
RE: Problem..
What are the symptoms of these crashes? For example, do you get a red minim icon in MinimWatch and an error message and/or stack trace in the MinimServer log? Are there any minimserver-crash* files in the MinimServer/appData folder? Any information that you can provide would be helpful.
07-05-2016, 15:16
Hi Simon

Minimwatch appears to continue showing green but when accessed it errors and cant find minimserver (which has stopped).

I believe I have attached the latest crash log..

Rob

.log  minimserver-crash-20160404-150935.log (Size: 5.34 KB / Downloads: 6)

Streaming from a Synology 1511+ to a Cyrus Stream XP2 QX, 2x Roberts 93i, A Revo Superconnect, a Mede8er 600 3D and a few Squeezeboxes thrown in!
07-05-2016, 16:39
Just noticed the date on the crash log and its obviously not very recent (04/04/16).

There have been many crashes since, is there somewhere to turn on logging as I cant find any newer?

Just stopped again after just a couple of minutes playback. Different files each time...

Rob

07-05-2016, 17:04
The crash log you posted is saying you had downloaded and installed the wrong MinimServer file for your NAS. This isn't relevant to the current problems.

When you next get the problem (and before restarting MinimServer), use Synology File Station to look at the minimserver.log file in the MinimServer/appData folder. Are there any error messages near the end of this file?

If you don't see any errors in the log file, you can select 'Show log' from MinimWatch and change the logging level from Info to Debug. This will produce more output in the minimserver.log file and the additional output might provide some clues.
07-05-2016, 17:51
I noticed that I had installed the 86 (64) version rather than the Synology Intel package. Doh! I have uninstalled and re installed hopefully the right version this time and also updated the version of java 8.

So far looks good. I am streaming to a Roberts 93i controlled by Kazoo and after 30 mins, all seems good. Looks like I was responsible for my own problem! I do find it confusing sometimes which version to use as the DS is an 86 64 bit system but I forgot the specific syno package.

I will report back and hopefully confirm all is well. Thanks as ever.

While I'm here, I would like to commend the Roberts Radio 93i to anyone looking for a portable yet great sounding piece of kit, especially now they have a bolt on battery pack. I have two and love them. Of course they work brilliantly with Minimserver / streamer. I would compare to a Squeezebox Boom (which I also have) only with more options. Highly recommended.

Rob

07-05-2016, 21:21
Ok, I was too quick to think the issue was gone. Still getting regular crashes and I have got a debug log.

Its over 2mb and this site wont allow more than 550kb.

Simon, can I email it to you?

Rob

07-05-2016, 21:47
(07-05-2016 21:21)robt Wrote:  Ok, I was too quick to think the issue was gone. Still getting regular crashes and I have got a debug log.

Its over 2mb and this site wont allow more than 550kb.

Simon, can I email it to you?

Rob

If you zip the log file, it should be small enough to post as a file attachment.

Can you remember the last thing you were doing just before the problem occurred?
07-05-2016, 22:00
Here's the file.

Last thing? Involved pizza and red wine... no really just streaming to the 93i. I had sent a playlist of about 32 tracks as I wanted to stress test while I was out but it didnt get past the first track. The 93i is set as an openhome renderer using Bubbleupnp server running on the NAS.

The NAS wasnt doing anything else.

.zip  minimserver.zip (Size: 304.37 KB / Downloads: 3)

07-05-2016, 22:34
The log shows a huge number of requests from the device with IP address 192.168.0.20 to retrieve embedded album art from the file:
Lossless music/Steely Dan/Then and Now - The Best of/02. Steely Dan - Rikki Don't Lose That Number (-74) (Then & Now - The Best Of Steely Dan - Remastered).flac

MinimServer is sending the album art data but the 192.168.0.20 device is rejecting it and immediately sending another request for the same data.

This cycle repeats hundreds of times until MinimServer hangs, presumably because some internal resource has been exhausted.

This is effectively a denial of service attack on MinimServer by the device with IP address 192.168.0.20. What is this device?