Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setup Issues on Ubuntu Linux
15-12-2014, 22:48 (This post was last modified: 15-12-2014 22:48 by DavidHB.)
RE: Setup Issues on Ubuntu Linux
(15-12-2014 19:06)simoncn Wrote:  Have you read the updated instructions in the User guide? From these, you will see that startd is now used only to create a daemon background process. To show the MinimServer minim icon in the system tray, you need to enable desktop integration and double-click the MinimServer launch icon on your desktop.

Yes that was it, exactly. Well, I knew I was doing something wrong Smile

All is now well. It seems that, once the desktop icon has been used to show the icon in the tray, it can, if desired, be deleted to tidy up the desktop.

Thanks once again.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2014, 00:33
(15-12-2014 22:48)DavidHB Wrote:  All is now well. It seems that, once the desktop icon has been used to show the icon in the tray, it can, if desired, be deleted to tidy up the desktop.

I'm pleased to hear this.

The launch icon can be deleted but this is not advisable because you would have no way to relaunch MinimServer if you need to do that.
16-12-2014, 00:57
(16-12-2014 00:33)simoncn Wrote:  The launch icon can be deleted but this is not advisable because you would have no way to relaunch MinimServer if you need to do that.

Noted. Re-running setup (as described in the User Guide), and re-enabling desktop integration restored the icon after I had deleted it. I have now said goodbye to my nice empty Ubuntu desktop.

David
16-12-2014, 01:13
(16-12-2014 00:57)DavidHB Wrote:  Noted. Re-running setup (as described in the User Guide), and re-enabling desktop integration restored the icon after I had deleted it. I have now said goodbye to my nice empty Ubuntu desktop.

David

I haven't tested this to make sure the deleted icon doesn't cause any other problems. Deleting the icon would cause the MinimServer scripts to treat desktop integration as being disabled. I will try to investigate this in the next few days and let you know whether doing this might cause other issues.
16-12-2014, 11:56
(16-12-2014 01:13)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-12-2014 00:57)DavidHB Wrote:  Noted. Re-running setup (as described in the User Guide), and re-enabling desktop integration restored the icon after I had deleted it. I have now said goodbye to my nice empty Ubuntu desktop.
I haven't tested this to make sure the deleted icon doesn't cause any other problems. Deleting the icon would cause the MinimServer scripts to treat desktop integration as being disabled. I will try to investigate this in the next few days and let you know whether doing this might cause other issues.

Thank you. I was certainly not suggesting that setup should be re-run on a regular basis, and was only trying to recover from the damage I had done. I did notice, that with the icon deleted, desktop integration had defaulted to disabled, and so re-enabled it.

MinimServer started normally with a 'clean' log when I started Linux this morning.

David